Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

European alternative to AMX (EIB)

I am talking about EIB (or KNX, based on EN 50090 series, the European Standard for Home and Building Electronic Systems).

I noticed they started to produce own Touch Screens... Ability to have web interface + different gateways like GSM (control from mobile phone), WAP, general purpose IP, Bluetooth etc. sound promising...

From programming point of view the control tends to be Java based (JSR-60: Building Automation Java API).

I had an experience to integrate EIB and AMX and looks like in near future it is going to compete each other...

So the question, does someone notice, specially in Germany, how does it evolve and what people think about it?

Comments

• Options
    frthomasfrthomas Posts: 176
    Integrating EIB and AMX is a toping that has popped up in the past already, you may want to search old posts.

I am not aware of what EIB devices exactly do support JSR 60. Googling that returns very few links for now.

As far as I can say for now, the EIB target seems to be electricians and "easy" configuration. Yes, there are panels, etc, but they are mostly "pre-packaged" in terms of configuration (PLK-DMS like). Nothing like the flexibility a Modero panel offers, for example.

Sure, there are plenty of Windows based stuff around for EIB, but then this is not really competition for AMX.

In my opinion EIB and AMX complement each other quite nicely for the moment. EIB has the european home automation advantage (EIB stuff is designed for european construction standards; not sure what is AMX offering in terms of floor heating f.e.), and its distributed architecture makes it more robust for such an essential function as lightning, say. Add to that an AMX system for home theater, music/video distribution in the home (EIB offers almost nothing here) and great panels!

My two cents

Fred