Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Need information on IR emmiters

I need too basic informations:
1) Do IR emmiters differ somehow in functionality, or they all do the same? Do I have to worry about specific frequency range or something else like that when choosing the IR emmiter I'm going to use with a Netlinx Master?
2) If I connect two IR emmiters in parallel on an IR port, is there some way to amplify the signal?

I ask both questions because I have two different IR's on the same port, one of them having that red flashing led. When I pulse them, sometimes the devices answer and sometimes they don't. I thought it could be because they, together, need more current than the amount the master supplies. Am I too wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Currant load is an issue that you have to deal with. Check the amount that your IR's are using. All IR's are also not same quality.
  • jp1016jp1016 Posts: 32
    Yes, I've heard there's a way to amplify the current. What I'm asking is if anyone knows how do I do that?
  • jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    You should really use the same brand and type emitter if you're stacking them. Otherwise, you're likely to see exactly what you have, one firing and the other not. Amplification should not be an issue for just two emitters, but Xantech makes IR distribution amplifiers that can be used for that if needed.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    AMX IR ports tend to be weaker than other manufacturers (like Niles or Xantech), so you may not get the same kind of wire distances out of them. Also, stay away from the kind of emitters that have an LED that flashes when they receive; only one, and close to the controller, often works, but any kind of distance and they kill the port ... too much current draw.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    jp1016 wrote: »
    2) If I connect two IR emmiters in parallel on an IR port, is there some way to amplify the signal?

Try connecting them in series. Whenever I have to stack IR emitters, I wire them in series and I have not had problems.

Jeff