Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

New NXD-430 touch panel

Pep_SDPep_SD Posts: 106
Hello All,

Just got a new NXD-430.
Does any of you know why the device number is by default 32001 and not 10001 like on MVP and others?
Does it matter?

Paul-Eric

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Pep_SD wrote: »
    Hello All,

Just got a new NXD-430.
    Does any of you know why the device number is by default 32001 and not 10001 like on MVP and others?
    Does it matter?

Paul-Eric

32000 and up is the device range reserved for "I see a device here, but it's not assigned to an address, so I'm giving it one." Usually, that happens with devices that don't have a way to set the number in the device itself (like an NI controller). Just change it in addressing from 32001 to 10001 and you will be set.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    I've noticed this on the other "new" panels also - the 500i and I think the 5200.
  • Pep_SDPep_SD Posts: 106
    Dave, thank you for the explanation. One of my new things learned for the day!
    Makes sense, now.

Paul-Eric
  • Thanks...

Helped me too.. It's hard getting back into this stuff after a while when you keep hitting these roadblocks... At least they eventually will start getting easier right?

Ryan
  • All of our new panels as well as older panels as they start shipping with new firmware will now default to a device number of 0. This allows the master to assign a dynamic device number to the panel and will, hopefully, eliminate the duplicate device numbers on a network. The idea is that if you have more than one panel connected to a master (very likely) you have to change the device number of all but one of them. It is a common problem to have duplicate device numbers on a network and spend several frustrating hours trying to figure out why the panel(s) won't connect to the master. This also allows dealers who pre-install many panels at a time in their office to simply plug them in, power them up, and since they ship with "Auto" as the default option for master connection they will all connect to the master. You can then go through and configure them properly. While this may be a bit confusing the first time you run into it and you weren't expecting it, in the long run it will save you from hours of debugging duplicate device numbers. Now, you can certainly still change panels to he same device numbers but then you are on your own. :)