Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

5200 Connection Problems

If anyone is having problems getting a 5200 to connect to the wireless network, try resetting to factory defaults. I have had a couple in the past week that were very flaky and would constantly connect and disconnect from the wireless network. No matter what I changed, I could not get them to stay online (even changed to a different processor on a different wireless network). As a last resort, I tried the restore factory defaults button, rebooted and then configured the panels. Everything worked well. That means my first resort is now restore factory defaults.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    bcirrisibcirrisi Posts: 148
    I have had a problem similar to that when I leave 'Active Roaming' turned on
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    If anyone is having problems getting a 5200 to connect to the wireless network, try resetting to factory defaults. I have had a couple in the past week that were very flaky and would constantly connect and disconnect from the wireless network. No matter what I changed, I could not get them to stay online (even changed to a different processor on a different wireless network). As a last resort, I tried the restore factory defaults button, rebooted and then configured the panels. Everything worked well. That means my first resort is now restore factory defaults.

Hope this helps,
    Jeff

I've had a couple problems.

1) panels seem to loose a lot of signal when they are docked. open the dock and the signal strenght goes up instantly. In the dock, reception is flaky.

2) When the TPs loose connect, you seem to have to go in and setup the wireless settings again. we use WEP 64. It seems to set itself to wEP128. It does this without fail. (which is, well.... a fail.)
  • Options
    TonyAngeloTonyAngelo Posts: 315
    I've had issues if the USB IP address was in a similar range as the Wireless IP address.
  • Options
    rcainrcain Posts: 11
    In our show home last night I had both 5200s lose connection just out of the blue. They showed good signal strength but no connection to the master. I had to reboot both panels to get connection.

Also anyone ever experience a 5200, or any touchpanel for that matter, go completely blank but still hear button presses only to have the touchpanel come alive about 15 seconds later? I also experienced this in our show home the other night. And of course both events occurred when I was showing potential clients how easy this system is to use!
  • Options
    I currently have problem that the MVP5200 will drop off the network completely at least once per month and cannot detect any wireless network although the signal strength is excellent and there is no other wireless network with the same channel around. We've replace the panel with a new one but the problem still exists. The only fix is to reboot the panel.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I think some times it's the access points that fart and drop the TP associations. Except they don't actually say goodbye to the TPs and the TPs think everything is still ok. I'll reboot the AP and all is well again.

It owuld be nice if my APs were fed POE and I was able to remotely cycle power but no such luck. Maybe in the next system design.
  • Options
    I had a problem with a 5200i that would lose connection when it was too close to our access point. The AP was behind the dresser and if you got to within about 6' it would drop out and do weird stuff. One explanation/theory from tech support was that the signal was too strong and when the TP was too close the signal was clipping at the TP. I turned the power output down on the AP by several dB and it seems to have helped. The AP we were using was the Netgear Prosafe WG102.

--John
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 13
    kempton wrote: »
    I currently have problem that the MVP5200 will drop off the network completely at least once per month and cannot detect any wireless network although the signal strength is excellent and there is no other wireless network with the same channel around. We've replace the panel with a new one but the problem still exists. The only fix is to reboot the panel.

I have this problem on multiple sites, but its more like once a week. Not to mention all the panels are new-ish due to the battery recall.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    That problem is not limited to touch panels. I've had an ongoing problem with an NI-3000 doing the same. My conclusion eventually was that the NIC in the master just didn't like the router very much. I was losing too much face with the customer, and didn't have time to nail it down ... I wound up setting the thing to reboot itself every day at 2AM if the system was not in use at the time. Haven't had a problem since.
  • Options
    AP Problem

I have a similar problem with the panels (5200?s) loosing connection with the AP and when I try to connect to the AP via Ethernet, the AP is no ware to be found. The only thing to restore comm. is to recycle power. I call tech support and they told me to check the firmware, which I did, and is running the latest. The other thing they were suggesting is the possibility that the AP could go offline, every time there were power intermittences.
    If anyone has some solution for this I?ll appreciate. The client is getting a little ??off.

Thanks
  • Options
    What AP are you using?
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I've had problems with the Linksys WAP-54G's and to restore comms I reboot the AP. In the future I intend to specify Cisco AP's probably the 521's and use them in stand alone mode or controller mode if the job warrants the expense of a wireless LAN controller. I would also spec a managed POE switch so if I still have issues I could add code in the master to power cycle the POE port of the appropriate AP if I loose comms for a specified period of time. Of course with the Cisco APs I wouldn't expect to have these types of issues.

I know for a fact in most of my 5200 wi-fi problems are due to the AP cuz I'm unable to see the AP with my laptop and when I go to the AP the activity lights are solid, no blinking.
  • Options
    That's what I was leaning towards, I can say that any project we have with a Cisco AP we have never had any problems. The D-Link business class APs has been pretty reliable as well.
  • Options
    We thought the same thing at one of our jobs, but our laptops never lost connection. We have installed a Pakedge wap and there is also a Csico PoE wap and they work great. We have 3 panels in the house and each one has gone offline intermittently for some time now. There will be times where we have the panels right next to each other and only 1 won't connect. Very weird. There are all firmware (2.66.17).
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    As a general rule of thumb, the LInksys consumer grade stuff is not the most reliable for AMX devices. I've had better success with Netgear or the Linksys/Cisco commercial grade pieces. I also avoid D-Link.