Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Meridian 861 & 800 serial control

Anyone ever experience the things locking up often (multiple times daily)? The protocol is pretty darn easy, so I can't see myself doing anything wrong with that (but it is possible.)

We just haven't had any experience with the Meridian pieces and although I'm impressed with the quality of sound, I'm very bummed over the protocol AND it locking up so much. Ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I have not integrated an 861 yet, but I have been integrated to the G92 in our office for the last year and a half or so. I have not had any lockups in that time. I am trying to recall if I had problems when I first started using the device, but nothing is coming to mind.

Jeff

P.S.
    The Meridian sound is AMAZING. If you ever have a chance, I HIGHLY recommend listening to the DSP8000s :)
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I have not integrated an 861 yet, but I have been integrated to the G92 in our office for the last year and a half or so. I have not had any lockups in that time. I am trying to recall if I had problems when I first started using the device, but nothing is coming to mind.

Jeff

P.S.
    The Meridian sound is AMAZING. If you ever have a chance, I HIGHLY recommend listening to the DSP8000s :)

We're not Meridian dealers so this will probably be the one and only I get to deal with (was the client's request.) I do have to agree, they do sound amazing . . . and it wasn't even calibrated yet.

Are you guys Meridian dealers?
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    We are Meridian dealers. I thought the 5200s we have on demo were amazing (especially compared to similarly priced analog systems) and I figured the 8000s would just add a little more oompff to the sound with a little better bass, but in an accoustically HORRIBLE room (One window wall with no treatments, granite floors, bare walls, ....) , the 8000s blew my mind. The detail was amazing and it was truly an amazing experience (until I handed the controls to the client...who then proceeded to cycle through the sound fields every 5 seconds non stop).

Because the speakers are digital, you don't need a big speaker wire to deliver the signal. We were able to run the wires behind the molding and only had to deal with plugging in the speakers at their location (which worked out well because there was an outlet almost directly behind each speaker location).

Jeff
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've done a metric half-ton of Meridians, in every series they have ever made, connected to both Axcent3s and NetLinx masters. I have only once had one lock up regularly on the comm port, and that particular unit (an older 861) also locked up on the front controls at the same time. I had to send it back to Meridian for repair.

Meridian control has been very solid for me, with one caveat: if nothing is connected to the serial port when they are turned on, they deactivate the port. So, every time you plug something in, you have to power cycle it ... including connecting your PC to load a program, and re-connecting the AMX afterward. The flip side of that is if it power cycles for some other reason, if your AMX controller is not active (say there was a power failure, and the Meridian powered up first), it may not resume communications without a reset.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Meridian control has been very solid for me, with one caveat: if nothing is connected to the serial port when they are turned on, they deactivate the port. So, every time you plug something in, you have to power cycle it ... including connecting your PC to load a program, and re-connecting the AMX afterward. The flip side of that is if it power cycles for some other reason, if your AMX controller is not active (say there was a power failure, and the Meridian powered up first), it may not resume communications without a reset.
    VERY good to know! Thank you!

I should mention I've got serial connected to both pieces . . . I'm going to undo the DVD control and just use maintain through the receiver / processor per some advice I've gotten.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Yeah, you can save a port by talking to the DVD via the receiver. It's works quite well.