Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Battery Discharge Technote

I got the technote notice about http://www.amx.com/techsupport/technote.asp?id=912?fromPage=%2ftechsupport%2ftechnote.asp%3fid%3d912 and it left me wondering: When or why would I want to do this? Last I talked with tech support, I was told that full power cycles are bad and the battery would last longer if it is kept on the charger more often than not and that multiple short charge cycles are better for battery life than draining the battery completely.

Has anyone had a need to do the complete battery discharge?

Jeff

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I didn't read the tech note but I always thought that batteries preffered to be completely drained prior to charging. Of course this was probably in regards to cordless drills, cell phones and such but I wouldn't imagine much difference between these types of devices and the touch panel batteries. Also I thought there was a finite numbers of charges that a battery was capable of and there's no distiction between short or long cycle charges so you in affect get a longer battery life by minimizing the amount of times a battery device gets removed from the charger and subsequently put back in.

Unfortunately I don't think we can tell customers to leave the panels out until they're dead so that next time they want to use it they can then place it in the charger and wait an hour before doing what it was which made them go to use the panel in the first place..

Just read the technote and all I can say is why?. It would have been nice to include a reason why someone would want/need to do this.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Exactly my point. I did not understand WHY the technote was put out.

From what I understand, what you said about batteries is true of the older rechargeable batteries, but the new ones are supposed to be different, at least according to tech support. If you read the stuff about the batteries in an iPod, they talk about things being different from the older rechargeable batteries and that partial charges are not bad like they used to be. There are a set number of charge cycles, but it does not count partial charges the same as a full charge. The biggest problems are with extreme heat and cold. Extreme heat can destroy the batteries ability to hold a charge. Extreme cold will lower the battery output, but it should return to normal as the battery returns to normal operating temps. (Should being the key word :) )

Jeff
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    seems there have been some issue according the the press release issued earlier...

The tech note is the proceedure to discharge before returning to AMX
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    They have issued a recall on some of the early 5200's (pre-June 2009 and showing signs of the battery bulging or beginning to bulge). This is the procedure to drain the battery before sending it back if you were one of the ones affected. There is, or will be, a firmware update if you have an older panel that wasn't yet affected.

http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=001x-UkwuaPPNhRZcHFtOK_do0HihUe8AhffMCvNKwb1SsAR6Og0TMpmoz8pElDMHMtWMvt9xz4bJD74ll7K0MTZgBQGOAChVqndZF0ZHtFMFuwHakRBIiI0_C3YehYnXRcuj58aoTLx40%3D
  • AvophileAvophile Posts: 70
    After installing the new MVP-5200i firmware, the self-test checks your battery for issues.

If that test discovers an issue with your battery, a warning pop-up will appear every five seconds until you send the panel back to AMX for repair.

You may want to have an extra panel on hand if you are updating firmware on a currently working system.

Reverting to the prior firmware only turns the 5200i into a non-communicating brick.