Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Directv H21 receivers RS-232 breakage

We have some H21 receivers from Directv that have partially stopped working over their RS-232/USB ports after the receivers were upgraded to firmware 0x42EB. I can't seem to get much useful information from custominstallsupport@DIRECTV.com. Is there a better contact?

What were are seeing is that on/off works but the SendUserCommand function quit working so things like guide and digit entry for channel selection within the guide are gone. Has anyone else seen this? We have 7 receivers behave all the same way after getting 0x42EB.

I have read here that many of you have given up on Directv usb/rs-232. I can see why now. Is IR the best option even with that many receivers? I know that the new firmware adds codes for up to 8 receivers now.

Thanks!

Comments

• perm182perm182 Posts: 15
    Try the new protocol

The protocol changed a bit and the old one still worked but a few keys did not. I am using the new on a HR21 and a HR22 and both seem to still work fine. I have attached the newest one i have.
  • satzsatz Posts: 17
    Problem resolved.

The receiver timing changed in the new release such that the command and command parameters had to be transmitted together for the new release 0x42EB to accept them. I am pleased to not have to use IR.