Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

NI-700 (32Mb) firmware update trick

Gday all,

I'm in the process of updating many NI-700 (32Mb) masters to the latest firmware, v3.41.422. Occasionally a unit would turn into a brick after the update, but I've found the cause and a solution.

Cause: v3.41.422 allows you to allocate Duet memory up to 8Mb. Some previous firmware versions allowed you to allocate up to 12Mb. (E.g. v3.14.337) If the allocation is greater than 8Mb prior to the firmware update, the update process reduces it to 8Mb. However, this leave no memory for my non-Duet program to load & run, hence the "brick" state. Other symptoms include difficulty establishing a Telnet connection.

Solution:
1) Set the PRD (program run disable) switch to the ON position and power-cycle.
2) Telnet into the AMX and set the Duet Memory to less than the max allowed. I set it to 6Mb.
3) Set the PRD (program run disable) switch to the OFF position and power-cycle.

My new procedure before updating firmware is now to check the Duet allocation and reduce it to 6Mb where required. I just thought someone may find this useful, since firmware updates can sometimes get a reputation for being "faulty" when the firmware is actually okay. For the record, I'm so happy with the latest (v3.41.422) that I'm proactively rolling it out to every master, including NI-700, NI-2100, NI-3000 and NI-3100.

Roger McLean
Swinburne University