Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Heads Up - Weather.com XOAP

Not sure if anyone's noticed any issues when using Weather.com's XML feed, but I noticed today that it wasn't working - and it'll affect all of my clients.

Anyway . . . here's a thread I found on another board that seems to explain quite a bit.

http://www.rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=588

A few highlights from the thread . . .
1) the XOAP XML Page will be in and out over the next 48 to 72 hours as the folks at Weather.com update their service.

2) Apparently there call board has been lit-up all day. The folks at weather.com are just now realizing the extent of the abuse that their XML feed has received and is considering a shutdown of the current XML OAP feed that we currently use.

3) The folks at weather.com have adopted andi]sic[/i identification system for their future feeds.

4) The current URL that we use looks something like the following:
http://xoap.weather.com/weather/local/8 ... =f&dayf=10

The new standard will look like the following:
http://xoap.weather.com/weather/local/3 ... =xoap&par=[PartnerID]&key=[LicenseKey]
where [PartnerID] is your unique Partner ID and [LicenseKey] is your unique License Key.

Anyway . . . be prepared to register for the service or change providers.

Comments

• Options
    jjames,

I have the dynamic image module running in my home system and that stopped working on Sunday. However, the non-dynamic module, the one that has the weather images loaded into the panel is still working on my office. Looks like that they stopped the dynamic images feed, but still have the text only working. I just thought that you would like to know that. Too bad they will block the XML data, your module still is the best weather module I've seen.

Ricardo
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Thanks for the info.

You're running my module? I didn't know it was out there (not that I care.) But surely, there are better ones. :p
  • Options
    jjames,

I am sorry, you're right. I am not using your module. I was using AMXJeff's module. Somehow, I got your name mixed up with AMXJeff. Anyways, his module also uses weather.com XML feed, which also stopped working. His module has 2 versions: Dynamic Images and Non-Dynamic. The dynamic image module, which uses the weather.com images stopped working, but the non-dynamic module, which uses only text, still works. Again, I am sorry for the confusion.

Ricardo
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    No worries. I just had a feeling you weren't dealing with mine when you said it was the best - LOL! :p
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I liked Jeff's module, but stopped using it when they limited feed access to once per hour. I had modified it to be able to look up multiple cities, and the limitation completely broke that feature (checking your home forecast, then waiting an hour to see how it was going to be at work just isn't feasible). So I further modified it to use Weatherbug.com instead. There isn't quite as much data available on their feed, but it's sufficient. I don't think dynamic images are available at all from there, I load them all on the panel.
  • Options
    AMXJeffAMXJeff Posts: 450
    I do not know what happened to the website a few months back, but have been running the Weather_Internet_Sevice module here at my desk for the last couple days and it is allowing multiple hits with in the same hour. So I think that may have been just a website glitch back than...
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    AMXJeff wrote: »
    I do not know what happened to the website a few months back, but have been running the Weather_Internet_Sevice module here at my desk for the last couple days and it is allowing multiple hits with in the same hour. So I think that may have been just a website glitch back than...

At one time the XML feed from rssweather actually read something along the lines of "feed can only be accessed once an hour" if you attempted it from the same IP.
  • Options
    AMXJeffAMXJeff Posts: 450
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    At one time the XML feed from rssweather actually read something along the lines of "feed can only be accessed once an hour" if you attempted it from the same IP.

oh... different source... this is from www.weather.com and is not an RSS feed...

Hey Ricardo...

By the way the Dynamic Images seem to work still too..