Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules
Options

Lutron Duet P5 losing connection

Hi all

I have a working home that every 2-3 days the module lost IP connection to the lutron...

The controller is working as usual, only the module is not communicating.

sending "REINIT" commnad reset the module and everything is ok.

I am listening to channel 252 to do automatic "REINIT" but looks like I am not getting its offline event.

The module is P5_dr1_0_117

Any idea?

I have 3 options:
1. Find why this thing is happening, and fix it.
2. do automatic REINIT every 24 hours - ugly ugly solution and I am not sure its a matter of time that the module loose communication, maybe its due to some action so it will not help
3. write my one module for the customer - last option the customer don't want to pay and this is after the warranty period.

Thanks for any help

Ady.

Comments

• Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    If you are not running the most current version of the duet module, I would recommend downloading it and giving it a try. I know they reworked the IP connection code to be more reliable and able to recover from a lost connection more gracefully. You should not need to put reinits into your code with the newest version (At least I haven't and it seems to recover fine when the connection is interrupted).

Jeff

P.S.
    Set notifications to monitor the virtual you are using for the lutron module and send the ?VERSION command to verify that it is in fact using the most recent version. I have has NS find an old module somewhere on my computer in the past and after banging my head against a wall for a couple hours I checked the version to find out it was an old version. They don't normally change the file name, just the version internally.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I have seen many instances of this happening on a Netlinx master. (Loosing IP connectivity but all seems well as far as a duet module is concerned.)

One thing I have found in general is that Netlinx Masters don't seem to like Linksys WGxxxxx routers/wireless routers. (the blue and pencil gray boxes) I do have a few systems where there's no problem, but have many more where putting something else in fixes the problem. Fortuantely, we now only do enterprise level stuff, so that issue is fairly gone for us.

Another thing you might try is wite a simple module that pings the Lutron system. If no ping, send the reset command. I'd even log the event and the current status of the module to help tech support figure out the problem. That kind of thing wouldn't break the bank.
  • Options
    Current version is v.1.0.7 which I haven't tried. I've been running v.1.0.5 without any major problems that I've noticed. On module versions prior to 1.0.5 I had all kinds of problems with those things disconnecting and staying disconnected. 1.0.7 seems to offer additional bug fixes related to reinitializing.

I would also make sure the firmware in the master is up to date.

--John
  • Options
    lapislapis Posts: 1
    IP Control to Lutron system

Hi,
    in the past I've tried to use the duet module but, due to delay and latency among AMX cpu and Lutron processor now I'm using only the direct control through a telnet session.
    It works fine without delays.

Loris Signoracci

Senior System Integrator

lsignoracci@it-works.it
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I never did use Duet for Lutron, and found my own to be perfectly solid in maintaining and re-establishing a connection. It does nothing more than wait 30 seconds after an offline event, then re-open it, repeating every 30 seconds on any non-fatal (as in, bad IP address, etc.) error.

I agree with the comment about some Linksys routers/switches, but if that were the problem here, REINIT wouldn't reconnect it. They lose the route altogether to the network when those act up. I would be willing to bet the Duet module simply is trying to reconnect too quickly, and cascading errors until it is forced to give up.
  • Options
    adysadys Posts: 395
    Thanks for all

I am using the last version, and its not a linksys problem either...

The ping solution is not so good, cause if it will happen during the day, the user will not be able to use the lutron until the init is done, and its take a LONG time to get up (the module), somthing like 2-3 minutes (something with keypad registration)

I want to solve it during the night if its possible

I will update if I will find any solutions,

Ady.