Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Used NXT-CV7 not booting?

I picked up a used nxt-cv7 from a client recently, and it's my first touchscreen. I've been using my iphone to control my system at home until now. Question - Can I use a 2.8 power supply to power it? I am using a 2.8, but when the panel boots it gets to the AMX splash screen and then stops. The grey button will not allow me to get into setup, I assume because it can't finish booting. Thoughts? Flash card loose? Should I get a bigger power supply? I do not have the additional base attached, and it's local to the power supply.

Comments

• vegastechvegastech Posts: 369
    It has the standard 64MB flash card, which I re-seated just to make sure. Still no joy. :( No additional accessories installed either. I pulled the flash card and booted it, same screen. Is this what happens when the flash card goes bad maybe?
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Th2.8 power supply should power it, but not much else.

I have seen panels lock up at the AMX splash screen when they are not connected to a network. I am not sure why, nor am I certain that what I am describing were the exact scenarios.

Try connecting the Ethernet port to your lan and then booting.
    I was able to get it connected to my network and I have link lights, but unfortunately its still on the AMX screen. I noticed also that I can hear a very low high pitched noise coming from the panel when it's powered up. Is this normal? Do these panels have a factory reset button somewhere?
    vegastech wrote: »
    I was able to get it connected to my network and I have link lights, but unfortunately its still on the AMX screen. I noticed also that I can hear a very low high pitched noise coming from the panel when it's powered up. Is this normal? Do these panels have a factory reset button somewhere?

The switching mode power supplies that drive the LCD panels sometimes make a noise like that. If the screen would go to sleep, the noise should stop.

Try holding your finger in the middle of the screen after power-up. There is no other reset I know of.

Let it sit stuck on the AMX splash for a while. Sometimes when stuck, they start up a while later.. like 20 minutes or so.
    What about if the 2.8 power supply I have isn't pushing enough amperage to support the touchscreen's ability to completely power up? Does anyone think this would happen? I'm considering going to Fry's and picking up a 5 amp 12v power supply to test. Thoughts? Holding the touchscreen didn't change anything, unfortunately. What exactly does the flash card upgrade do? I know it allows for a much bigger flash card to hold a larger TP file, but anything else? Can I use a compact flash card reader to view the data on the card perhaps? This is really frustrating.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Here's the data sheet specs for the NXT-CV7. Note the startup draws w/ or w/out the base. Also what gauge wire is supplying the power and what is the distance? Is it just a local PS at the TP?
    POWER REQUIREMENT - STANDALONE CV7
    ? Constant current draw: 1.0 A @ 12 VDC (stand alone)
    ? Startup current draw: 1.5 A @ 12 VDC (stand alone)
    ? Minimum Power Supply Required: PSN2.8 Power Supply
    (FG423-17) (Using accessories can increase the power
    draw requirements)
    POWER REQUIREMENTS - CV7 and BASE/1
    ? Constant current draw: 2.4 A @ 12 VDC (stand alone)
    ? Startup current draw: 3.6 A @ 12 VDC (stand alone)
    ? Minimum Power Supply Required: PSN4.4 Power Supply
    (FG423-45) (Using accessories can increase the power
    draw requirements)
    Yes. The PS wire is only about 3 feet long, coming directly from it - no splice points. As this is the case, I would assume that I have an adequate PS, correct? I even took the PS I'm using successfully on my NI-700 and the same screen appears. (Not that it means much, because the NI-700 only draws 280mA, but at least I know the pinout is correct.) Metering the PS showed me that it was outputting the full 13.5V as advertised, so I'm assuming (not always a good thing to do) that it is capable of supporting its advertised amperage rating.
  • The power supply you have should be plenty for the panel. Besides, the stuck at logo screen would not be indicative of an underpowered panel. The logo appears when the panels bootloader starts up, usually within a few seconds. It stays there until the Kernel completes booting and starts the application. The app then puts the panel graphics on the screen. That's just FYI.

The hum you hear is not from a "switching mode power supply". That is the inverter which drives the backlight. It is being driven typically at about 1.5kHz on that panel (other panels are different) and the hum is just a harmonic of that frequency usually caused by the inverters vibration.

The finger on the screen during boot will get you into the setup pages when the panel completes its boot. In your case it isn't booting so the touching the display won't help. It is hard to say what the cause but the best bet is that there is something wrong with the CF card. One thing to try that occasionally happens is that someone could have put the CF card in the wrong slot. If you take of the back plastic cover of the panel (I'm assuming table top panel) by removing 4 screws on the bottom (usually hidden under the feet) you will see two CF card slots with the card in one of them. Try taking it out and putting it in the other slot and see what happens. One slot is for a wifi card, the other for the CF card. I can't remember which is which.

If that doesn't work you'll need to call Tech Support and have them send you a new CF card.
    Everyone on this forum has been extremely informative. Thank you all for your assistance. I swapped the CF card locations, but it didn't provide me with a change, unfortunately. I'll call tech in the morning. Again, thanks to everyone. This is a terrific forum!
    rgelling wrote: »
    The hum you hear is not from a "switching mode power supply". That is the inverter which drives the backlight.

What drives the inverter at 1.5KHz? Considering the panel is powered by a external DC supply, it must be a switching mode power circuit.
  • I stayed away from the term "switching mode power supply" because many people think of a power supply as something you plug into a wall. There is a chip in the panel that drives the inverter using pulse width modulation (PWM). The inverter powers the backlight. The PWM determines the brightness of the backlight. At 100% brightness the PWM just drives the inverter high the whole time. At less then that the inverter pulses the voltage to the inverter at 1.5kHz. The brightness is how much of that 1.5kHz signal is high and how much is low. Hope that helps.