Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

CineTouch Anyone?

2»

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Lots of reasons...

Hi Sam,
    There's a lot more discussion on packaged solutions in another topic, this one was abandoned in favor of that one... I'd rather you checked that one out than to repeat all that info again here. Thanks.
    http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=6235
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    SamkAMX wrote: »
    i recently programmed a mid size system and the guy told me he got quotes from both cinetouch and an amx home programmer and both were more expensive than me.

i dont get why anyone would use a more expensive, less customizable system if a programmer is available.

i can see why they are around as the industry is booming and not enough programmers to keep up so if you dont have access to programmer i guess it's an alternative solution but if you have a choice seems like a slam dunk to me.

With all due respect! (I'm not trying to be a smart as@)
    I have put years of work into my system and here are a few features.

<b><i>If you can program a home with all the below features for under $10k in under 2 hours without and bugs, please give me a call.</b></i>
    32 locations
    32 TPs/R4s
    32 Met Keypads
    18 input sources with privacy, source lock and input gain adjustments
    audio event timers
    dual audio outputs (display spks and ceiling spks), warm-up/cooldown timers and sleep timers - per location
    The ability to change projectors, displays and/or receivers in minutes (ir or two way rs232)
    PLUS - lighting, shades, security, climate, pool/spa, sprinklers, phonebook w/Panasonic, image frames, blackjack, poker, capitals game, weather and MORE!
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    SamkAMX wrote: »
    i recently programmed a mid size system and the guy told me he got quotes from both cinetouch and an amx home programmer and both were more expensive than me.

i dont get why anyone would use a more expensive, less customizable system if a programmer is available.

i can see why they are around as the industry is booming and not enough programmers to keep up so if you dont have access to programmer i guess it's an alternative solution but if you have a choice seems like a slam dunk to me.

The push is to make more sales, more quickly, and with less fuss. That's always what sales has been about, it's just that in the custom installation market, there was very little in the way of choice: you hired a programmer, or it didn't get done. The non-tech partner of my pair of bosses calls it all programming, but to my mind, all these new systems are just data entry. And that is what the sales guys want ... a working system that only requires some blanks to be filled in to "customize" it. The day of the custom install programmer is not done, but it's waning. I've concluded that if you aren't in on developing these new meta-systems, you are going to wind up just doing data entry.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Philosophy
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    The push is to make more sales, more quickly, and with less fuss. ....The day of the custom install programmer is not done, but it's waning. I've concluded that if you aren't in on developing these new meta-systems, you are going to wind up just doing data entry.
    Again, I encourage this to continue in the other thread for substantive discussion on packaged solutions.

But I'd say that custom programming is always going to be valuable. Just like custom automobile design, it will be diminished in volume as competent production solutions become attractive choices for mainstream purchasing. Just as your Mercedes dealer "just enters data" to build the car you choose from a menu, your choice for a luxury car isn't limited if your budget truly isn't.

To paraphrase the original question into the automobile analogy, "Why would I pay more for an ordinary production car when my neighbor says he'll build me a car in his garage for less?" In this context, anyone can see that the results might not be comparable, and one can think of lots of reasons for buying a production car instead of a one-off project.

Like building cars in garages, clearly programming is not a commodity, the results you get from one are not the same as what you get from another. Even in cases when their eventual output might be judged to be equally acceptable, two programmer's work will not be interchangable or equally able to be serviced by others. And the variations in fit and finish, how things work, when it is done, what it costs to change, and how it holds up will all weigh on the customer for years after the purchase.

Packaged solutions are working towards predictable answers to these issues that have kept customers either from entering or returning to home control systems. And like auto manufacturers, some will be different than others in cost and benefits.

And like auto manufacturers, when the customer wants something too far afield from what their product actually is, we recommend custom work instead of our product. We don't want an unsatisfied customer.

Our CineTouch dealers are continuously amazed at how flexible and customizable our product is, and they are in a better position to judge this dimension than anyone. Ask them, if you ever would like to replace presumptions with actual information. For one, our newest really prolific dealer is Forrester Tech in Springfield MO.

?We thought packaged solutions would make us stay ?inside the box? and limit customization. But we found CineTouch could handle any project we threw at it. We no longer fear simultaneous complex jobs - we installed seven CineTouch systems in our first two months as their dealer. Four were retrofits with unusual existing equipment, and one was a large commercial job we couldn't have done without CineTouch. Our staff quickly learned to use the Configurator, and when we need to do something really unusual, the CineTouch team helps us quickly find a solution. CineTouch has changed our entire business - and the best part is, our customers LOVE it! Call me if you want to know more about our experience with CineTouch ? 417-864-TECH?
    Ben Forrester, Chief Operating Officer - ForresterTech, Springfield, Missouri - http://www.forrestertech.com

Actual product discussion? PLEASE go to the other thread where it will be in context...

John Nagy
    http://CineTouch.com