Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools
Options

Chameleon Images

Anyone played around with Chameleon images in the new TPD4? When I first saw this, I didn't know what possible use there could be for these, but after messing around with them for a while, I think they are pretty cool. I've already incorporated a few into the new projects I'm working on.
Just curious to see what anyone else thinks.

Comments

• Options
    We believe that the real strength of the Chameleon images comes out when they are used in conjunction with the enhanced Palette features of TPDesign4 2.4. If your interested (or just bored), take a look at the G4 PanelBuilder "Aluminum Smoke" template for a good example of this.

By using Palette entries for assigning colors instead of raw RGBA values, you can create complete color schemes for a panel that can be swapped in and out by simply changing which Palette is the active one. It's not necessarily anything an end-user/client would recognize or apprciate; but it's certainly an approach than can make panel designs more re-usable for those who create them.

For example, you spend countless hours creating the end-all interface and it looks absolutely perfect in the environment where it is installed. Someone else sees it and says, "Hey...that's the most incredible touch panel interface I've ever seen! I want one in my house! Oh...but it would clash with the colors of my room. Oh, well." But instead of losing out or having to re-create the graphics in a different color scheme, you can say, "not a problem", and simply create a new Palette that better matches the installation's environment. That's where the real cool-factor comes in.
  • Options
    KevinKKevinK Posts: 29
    Rob,
    I used the chameleon option to do just what you described on accident the first time, and since then, I've done it on purpose twice. It is actually a very powerful feature and I'm glad to see it.

Quick side note, and maybe I haven't searched through the forums enough to find the answer yet...:
    Is it possoble to paste copied properties accross pages of the same panel without having to copy_paste a button with the properties you want onto that page first?

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • Options
    shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    Yes, check out the certification refresh courses available in the online testing section of AMX.com.. It was covered in one of them (maybe even the TPD4 online course).

I could tell you, but I didn't quite pay close attention.

Kevin D.
  • Options
    KevinK wrote:
    Rob,
    I used the chameleon option to do just what you described on accident the first time, and since then, I've done it on purpose twice. It is actually a very powerful feature and I'm glad to see it.

Quick side note, and maybe I haven't searched through the forums enough to find the answer yet...:
    Is it possoble to paste copied properties accross pages of the same panel without having to copy_paste a button with the properties you want onto that page first?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin,

Glad to hear you've discovered the usefulness of the Chameleon images...even if it was by accident.

As far as copying properties, you most certainly can copy from a button on one page to a button on another page (or another panel, for that matter) by simply selecting the property, choosing Edit->Copy (CTRL+C). You have several options for choosing the desination of your paste operation. You can select the actual property in the Properties control that you would like to paste into--it doesn't even have to be the same as the source property; it only has to be a "compatible" value. Or you can select the button itself in the Design view and the copied value will be pasted into the equivalent property on the target, if applicable. If you've copied a State property and paste onto the button in the Design view, it will paste that property across ALL states for that button. And, finally, if dealing with State properties, you can select one or more states in the State Manager and copied property will be pasted into the equivalent property on the selected state(s). All of these operations, with the exception of copying from a property of one button to a different property on other button, can also be perform via drag-and-drop. Try dragging your state Fill Color property onto a different button in a Design View window. Or drag that same Fill Color property onto the state Text property.

Alternatively, if you're needing to copy/paste multiple properties and don't want to go through the tedium of select-copy-select-paste over and over, then check out the Property Painter. It will allow you to grab the properties from a button, page, or popup; select which properties you actually wish to paint with; and "paint" them onto one or more selected targets. Quite a time saver when you need to duplicate the look-and-feel across existing buttons.

They're not complicated features. Probably the best way to learn how they work is to actually play with them a little, and they'll soon find their way into your arsenal of tools.
  • Options
    Rob,

I didn't know about the drag and drop action before, thanks.
    My original question should have been directed at the functionality of the property painter, my bad for not being more clear. I would like to "grab selected" from one button on one page, and then "paint" those properties to multiple buttons on another page. for instance...

button 1 on the DVD page has an animate time up of 6, an animate time down of 6, and auto repeat set to on. I want those three properties to apply to all of the animated buttons on the SAT page. I can't figure out how to grab all three properties from button 1 on the DVD and apply them on the VCR page. I can paint to any button on the DVD page though. The work-around that I've been using is to copy a complete button from the DVD page to the VCR page and then use that button as my target for the property grabber.
    Please let me know if I'm making any sense, or am I missing the blatantly obvious?

Thanks for your time,
    Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin,

What you're attempting to do should work just fine. You can grab the properties from your "source" button in one of two ways. Either by choosing the "Grab Properties Tool" (the little eyedropper) and clicking on the button; or by opening the Property Painter window (View->Property Painter), selecting the button (with the "Selection Tool" active), then pressing "Grab Selected". Once the source properties and their values are in the Property Painter, ensure that only the properties you want to paint are checked. In your case, Animate Time Up, Animate Time Down, and Auto-Repeat.

To paint, you again have two options. You can switch to the "Paint Properties Tool" (the little paint can and bucket) and simply click on the buttons you wish to paint to; or you can select the target buttons (with the "Selection Tool" active), then press "Paint Selected" in the Property Painter.

I tested this here and have no problems grabbing properties from a button on one page and then painting onto multiple buttons on a different page, and even into a different panel. Let me know if you're still having problems, or if I can cliarify any of the steps for you.
  • Options
    Rob,

Thanks for the quick post-back! I was on the phone with "Guy?" @ tech support when you posted, and after I read your reply, I realized I have to leave the property painter dialog box open while moving between pages. I've been "grabbing", closing the box, changing pages, selecting buttons, opening the painter, and THEN painting. Duh.

Thank you for suffering my slowness,

:)
    Kevin
    Newly Empowered Designer