Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Wall Dock Lock

Any of you guys know if there is a way to "lock" the wall dock in code?

Comments

• a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    jazzwyld wrote: »
    Any of you guys know if there is a way to "lock" the wall dock in code?

You can password protect it and not tell anyone the password.
    Paul
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Alternately, if it's an 8400, you can deliberately put the panel in it slightly crooked so it jams and gets stuck.

(Pure sarcasm in case anyone's detectors are under-caffeinated at the moment ... it just happens to be one of my pet peeves how that can happen in the first place)
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Alternately, if it's an 8400, you can deliberately put the panel in it slightly crooked so it jams and gets stuck.

(Pure sarcasm in case anyone's detectors are under-caffeinated at the moment ... it just happens to be one of my pet peeves how that can happen in the first place)

:D

I could add as well that the mechanical hooky thingy that grabs the MVP5200i when you insert it has fallen off the actuator motor on 4 of our Wall docks. We've put them back on with some lock-tight. I won't bore you with how we got them out of the wall in the first place. but you could just take these out or wait for them to fail. I can assure you the client wont' be getting them out.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506

Deliberately? I s'pose if you're not deliberate in your action it'll just not dock properly and go flat, not jam. Same result though. :D
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I won't bore you with how we got them out of the wall in the first place.

Plaster saw or crowbar? Tee hee!

If an MVP-5200 locks up while in a wall dock is it possible to get it out?
    Auser wrote: »
    Deliberately? I s'pose if you're not deliberate in your action it'll just not dock properly and go flat, not jam. Same result though. :D

Plaster saw or crowbar? Tee hee!

If an MVP-5200 locks up while in a wall dock is it possible to get it out?

yes, if yo can get the TP rebooted. Hold the select button in for 16 seconds to power cycle the TP. (It's the round button inside the wheel on the upper right corner) I've found that you still need to go into the setup pages and hit the undock panel button on the TP itself sometimes. Once this is done the whole system will work as expected.
  • jazzwyldjazzwyld Posts: 199
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    You can password protect it and not tell anyone the password.
    Paul

I know how to lock it using the TP, I wondered if there was a way to lock it if they leave for the evening so the kids don't drop the TP or a button they can push so that they don't have to get into the TP menus to set the locking of the device.
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    I know how to lock it using the TP, I wondered if there was a way to lock it if they leave for the evening so the kids don't drop the TP or a button they can push so that they don't have to get into the TP menus to set the locking of the device.

There is a setup button which, when pressed, will undock the panel and it should undock the panel no matter the state of the user/password stuff used to control docking. You can add this button to a popup page and control access to that popup page in any way you desire. That should allow you to control undocking in any way you desire.
  • jazzwyldjazzwyld Posts: 199
    So no real way to toggle the state? Say for the morning let it fly open in the evening keep it shut?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I think the only option would be to have different User/Passwords for the kids and parents and then via code and probably another password protected area for the parents give them the ability to clear or change the kid's user/password. Then by some other means re-instate the kid's user/pass when appropriate. You wouldn't need to have the parents physically enter a new set of values just a button that disables the kid's User/Pass by changing it to something you choose and the kids don't know.
    "'^LPR-<user>'"

Remove a given user from the User Access Passwords list on the Password Setup page.

Syntax: 

SEND_COMMAND <DEV>,"'^LPR-<user>'"

Variable: 

user = 1 - 50 ASCII characters.

Example:

SEND_COMMAND Panel,"'^LPR-Robert'"

Remove user named 'Robert' from the User Access Password 

list on the Password Setup page.

"'^LPS-<user>,<passcode>'"

Set the user name and password.

This command allows you to:

1. Add a new user name and password OR

2. Set the password for a given user.

The user name and password combo is added to the User Access and/or Password 

list in the Password Setup page. The user name must be alphanumeric.

Syntax: 

SEND_COMMAND <DEV>,"'^LPS-<user>,<passcode>'"

Example:

SEND_COMMAND Panel,"'^LPS-Manager,undock'"

Sets a new user name as "Manager" and the password to "undock".

So no real way to toggle the state? Say for the morning let it fly open in the evening keep it shut?

I don't know why it would be difficult to control access to a button on a popup page using any logic you desire.
    Hedberg wrote:
    I don't know why it would be difficult to control access to a button on a popup page using any logic you desire.
    True that for a soft button approach. I was thinking more for the hard eject button.
    vining wrote: »
    Hedberg wrote:

True that for a soft button approach. I was thinking more for the hard eject button.

Looks like that on the Password Setup page there is an enable button. That button can also be duplicated and, I believe, could be used to easily control whether or not the hard button would work. I don't have one of these things here (and can't get one) to test this out, but I am interested to see how it all works out as I have an installation in which I've been requested to provide a "simpler" method of controlling undocking than the username password facility built into the panel.

What doesn't seem available (and, if I were specifying functionality, it would be there) is the ability to directly send commands to the panel to undock or to enable/disable the hard button without going through a panel setup port button.
    Well I just happen to have a MVP8400 on my desk here and if you set up at least one user/password and the "Enabled" button enabled on the user/pass page I'm prompted for the user/pass when the hard eject button is pushed (desktop docking station). With the "Enabled" button off (disabled) and I push the hard eject button it simply releases and I am able to remove the TP w/o any user/pass.

The soft button "Undock Panel" releases w/o user/pass input regardless of the "Enabled" button on the User/Pass page. I guess they figure you're in protected set-up so what's the point.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    yes, if yo can get the TP rebooted. Hold the select button in for 16 seconds to power cycle the TP. (It's the round button inside the wheel on the upper right corner) I've found that you still need to go into the setup pages and hit the undock panel button on the TP itself sometimes. Once this is done the whole system will work as expected.

Actually, I've seen them so jammed that they won't open no matter what, and they don't charge right either, so the panel goes completely dead. And I tell you, it's a right proper bear getting them out after that, and involves chnaging the case later to make up for screwdriver gouges.
  • rfletcherrfletcher Posts: 217
    Actually, I've seen them so jammed that they won't open no matter what, and they don't charge right either, so the panel goes completely dead. And I tell you, it's a right proper bear getting them out after that, and involves chnaging the case later to make up for screwdriver gouges.

So I take it the 5200 wall dock locks differently from the 8400 wall dock and isn't vulnerable to the touch panel slim jim? I hope it's harder to dock a 5200 incorrectly than it is with an 8400. Otherwise that'll get unpleasant when we start using the 5200.
    rfletcher wrote: »
    So I take it the 5200 wall dock locks differently from the 8400 wall dock and isn't vulnerable to the touch panel slim jim? I hope it's harder to dock a 5200 incorrectly than it is with an 8400. Otherwise that'll get unpleasant when we start using the 5200.

I'm not a big fan of either wall dock. they both have their issues. The issues are just differnet. I try to discourage our designers from spec-ing them in systems. They just trouble on wheels if you ask me.
  • VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    Not a fan - but no other options available
    I'm not a big fan of either wall dock. they both have their issues.

I just shipped another initial failure MVP-WDS back yesterday.

Fortunately, I had 2 more units to verify that the problem was the docking station.

I seem to keep getting these units that do not recognize that the touch panel has been docked.

No recognize = no charging.

What a pain, because many times these units get installed onsite long
    before the actual control system gets integrated and tested to find any issues.