Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Long Range IR Control from Axcent?

I have a requirement to send IR commands to a light switch, which is some distance away. Obviously the IR blasters have a range of around a foot at best. Is there any way to fire a handheld remote control strength signal from an Axcent2? I've tried running a transistor into a high power IR emitter but with no luck. If you run it directly from the port the current limited means it's no brighter than a stick on blaster...

James

Comments

• shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    I'm assuming you can't get a wire over to it. They make IR floods, but that's not really designed to make it across a room.

How about relay's tied into the remote and a power supply to replace the batteries?

Kevin D.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I have a requirement to send IR commands to a light switch, which is some distance away. Obviously the IR blasters have a range of around a foot at best. Is there any way to fire a handheld remote control strength signal from an Axcent2? I've tried running a transistor into a high power IR emitter but with no luck. If you run it directly from the port the current limited means it's no brighter than a stick on blaster...

James
    Perhaps a DinkyLink?