Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Newbie seeking 2nd hand AXB DMX512 / MIDI (maybe AXC)

Hello,

I'm new to AMX, but having a good time automating my home environment. I've been able to nearly hit all of my goals so far. Might re-write the whole thing once I'm done.

The one piece missing is DMX-512 control. If anyone has a 2nd hand DMX-512 module (AXB=DMX512), I'd be interested in it. The AXB-MIDI is also a possibility, as I have a DMX-512 console that has MIDI and can RX program changes to kick thru scenes (I'd prefer not to use it).

I've got my NetLinx passing messages to a MacMini (perl script I wrote) that runs the home theater setup (for tuning internet radio, internet video, and broadcast HDTV) and could probably relay the DMX-512 data through that, but if a DMX-512 module is attainable I'd rather play with that.

Thanks

Comments

• TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    telmnstr wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm new to AMX, but having a good time automating my home environment. I've been able to nearly hit all of my goals so far. Might re-write the whole thing once I'm done.

The one piece missing is DMX-512 control. If anyone has a 2nd hand DMX-512 module (AXB=DMX512), I'd be interested in it. The AXB-MIDI is also a possibility, as I have a DMX-512 console that has MIDI and can RX program changes to kick thru scenes (I'd prefer not to use it).

I've got my NetLinx passing messages to a MacMini (perl script I wrote) that runs the home theater setup (for tuning internet radio, internet video, and broadcast HDTV) and could probably relay the DMX-512 data through that, but if a DMX-512 module is attainable I'd rather play with that.

Thanks

The AXB-DMX512 is pretty lame. See out an NSI I/F501.
  • ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    I have an AXC Midi card that I don't use.. Yes the DMX box is very lame. I have one in a system and its just grabbing some values to trigger other systems, but it really doesn't do much. If you are after a good sized lighting setup, I would definitely recommend using a real lighting console and using midi to trigger events and such with it. I haven't ever used an NSI IF501 but I know it is great for working with things like dimmers and single channel things. If you are doing LEDs/moving lights/tons of dimmers, then a real lighting console is the way to go.

Ryan
  • This is just general illumination in an apartment. I do have some moving lights and LED fixtures, normally I run them with a Windows application (that is actually fully free) called FreestylerDMX. I had planned to keep that DMX512 set separate from the one for the general lighting.

I had just planned to hang some dimmer packs switched into relay pack mode on the AXB-DMX512, and use that for light fixtures (and perhaps a Alpha LED signboard if it won't damage the switch mode supply that drives it).

I'm using rack mounted power strips made by Baytech (RPC-3) right now for audio amp power and midi music equipment and other stuff I have around the house. I've got the AMX using telnet connections to them for control. It works, but it's a tad bit slow because the power strips themselves have a delay after turning on an outlet (I think it's writing the state into NVRAM on the strip). Not a big deal, but don't want to use those strips for lighting. They are similar to products from APC and WTI and Cyclades and others.
    Seems like it would be easier to use just relays since that is all your after. Or even using like Insteon wireless devices which you can get in an actual relay version. Usually the less expensive dmx dimmer packs don't really do switched mode with power supplies well. It will blow them up. Furman and lowell both make single channel relays that just need a contact closure. You can also get actual dmx relay packs that are only relays.

As a side note, Look into magicq pc. Way more powerful and its free! You might like it.
  • Ah, I can't give up on DMX-512. At some point in the future I will probably try to get some RGB LED wash light bars (I've only got Chauvet Techno Strobe unit now). I had a few of the PAR cans from Chauvet, Colorsplash JR... But they failed. Upon pulling them apart, the board that actually contains the LED had the worse quality solder I've ever seen.

I thought about looking into building a RS232 to DMX512 project. I've got some experience using the Atmel microcontrollers, and I know it's pretty easy to slap the level converter chip on it and do DMX512. Handling RS232 _AND_ DMX512 from it is where things get difficult.

If it comes down to it, I can use relays for the oddball switched loads. Most of the other stuff is lights.

Actually, in 1999 and 2000 roomates and myself had an elaborate Christmas light setup, and I laid out and etched the circuit boards myself. Simple opto-isolator and triac boards. The cheap dimmer packs are basically a zero-cross opto component that gives the microcontroller in the dimmer pack the timing of the AC sine wave, then triacs for the channels that are clocked to the AC sine wave.

Fun stuff. Here is the board from back then:
    http://www.757.org/main/projects/xmas00/board.jpg

The MSI box suggested looks pretty nice.

I will also check out the MagicQ software! Need to see if it supports my DMX512 interface. Got it installed and starting up right now. Thanks for the heads up! It's beautiful that there are Windows, Mac and Linux versions of it as well. Fun stuff!
    Search for other postings by me on this topic. The short story is that the AXB-DMX512 can only ramp one channel at a time. Starting a second ramp will cancel the first. The I/F501 allow you to ramp as many channels at you want at various rates and start new ramps while others are occuring.
  • Search for other postings by me on this topic. The short story is that the AXB-DMX512 can only ramp one channel at a time. Starting a second ramp will cancel the first. The I/F501 allow you to ramp as many channels at you want at various rates and start new ramps while others are occuring.

You can ramp as many channels at whatever rate you need. For example SEND_COMMAND dvDMX, 'DR1-512L255T300' will ramp all 512 channels to full level over 30 seconds. While that is occurring SEND_COMMAND dvDMX,'DR36,37,39,41L0T20' will ramp those channels (36,37,39,41) to off over 2 seconds.

I have used the AXB-DMX512 in a number of large projects (anywhere from 60 - 2000 DMX channels), and it works just fine - actually its a great piece if you start incorporating some of the onboard patching and grouping features. On all of these projects the end users can trigger simple events from lighting keypad buttons or dynamic timeclock triggers, delve a little deeper through an iTouch VirtualKeypad, and have full accessing to real time preset color adjustment and editing sequences (occurence, duration, fade time, etc.), from G3 web panels and G4 Modero panels.
    icraigie wrote: »
    You can ramp as many channels at whatever rate you need. For example SEND_COMMAND dvDMX, 'DR1-512L255T300' will ramp all 512 channels to full level over 30 seconds. While that is occurring SEND_COMMAND dvDMX,'DR36,37,39,41L0T20' will ramp those channels (36,37,39,41) to off over 2 seconds.

That wasn't my experience. Starting a new ramp made current ramps stop where they were.
  • dchristodchristo Posts: 177
    That wasn't my experience. Starting a new ramp made current ramps stop where they were.

I've used the DMX boxes in numerous projects, and I agree with icraigie in that I've never had any problems with multiple ramps.

--D
  • That wasn't my experience. Starting a new ramp made current ramps stop where they were.

Might be that there groups and patches setup up in the device. I have found more than one that has come out of the box with all sorts of mysterious settings already entered (QC?). First thing I do when I get a "new" one online is clear all the settings.
    telmnstr wrote: »
    Ah, I can't give up on DMX-512. At some point in the future I will probably try to get some RGB LED wash light bars (I've only got Chauvet Techno Strobe unit now). I had a few of the PAR cans from Chauvet, Colorsplash JR... But they failed. Upon pulling them apart, the board that actually contains the LED had the worse quality solder I've ever seen.

I thought about looking into building a RS232 to DMX512 project. I've got some experience using the Atmel microcontrollers, and I know it's pretty easy to slap the level converter chip on it and do DMX512. Handling RS232 _AND_ DMX512 from it is where things get difficult.

If it comes down to it, I can use relays for the oddball switched loads. Most of the other stuff is lights.

Actually, in 1999 and 2000 roomates and myself had an elaborate Christmas light setup, and I laid out and etched the circuit boards myself. Simple opto-isolator and triac boards. The cheap dimmer packs are basically a zero-cross opto component that gives the microcontroller in the dimmer pack the timing of the AC sine wave, then triacs for the channels that are clocked to the AC sine wave.

Fun stuff. Here is the board from back then:
    http://www.757.org/main/projects/xmas00/board.jpg

The MSI box suggested looks pretty nice.

I will also check out the MagicQ software! Need to see if it supports my DMX512 interface. Got it installed and starting up right now. Thanks for the heads up! It's beautiful that there are Windows, Mac and Linux versions of it as well. Fun stuff!

One thing you might be interested in is an arduino. It is based on an atmega chip. But the os they put on it makes programming way easier. Check out the Duemilanove. Its $29. Add a few parts, and its a DMX transmitter. Add the DMX library and a little code to parse the incoming serial commands, and you got yourself a very inexpensive open serial to DMX adapter.

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDuemilanove
    http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/DMX (look at DMX Simple)