Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules

Intercom module modifications

2»

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    The changes in the new version are SPECIFICALLY for the 9000i. Not much else has changed.

There are two changes in the module:
    1. In the new module if you undock the 9000 it instantly kills your connection if you are using the intercom.
    2. They provided a means to swap IP addresses for the panel from when it’s docked/undocked. That would allow you to still use the panel as an intercom as you move it back and forth.

AMX has told us to set the panels for full-time WIFI in residential use so as to prevent dead time while the IP's change up. This can take up to 30 seconds to clear in theory, and maybe longer in practice. The point of the dock IP is to allow the panels to be sold into high-security government type installs where WIFI may be prohibited at times, and for locations where dozens of panels might be docked in storage together. And other unusual circumstances.
  • Intercom

This thread was written a few years ago but I am experiencing same type of issues. I read that if you issue a command that checks to see if the panel is capable of intercom :
    : Send_command dtp_MAIN , “^MODEL?”

After this command is issued ---- If the panel supports intercom hardware it will respond with its model name as shown in the response below.
    ^MODEL-MVP-8400i

Does this response come into the Data_Event of dtp_MAIN ??
    DATA_EVENT[dTP_MAIN]
    STRING:
    {
    -response here

I don’t get a response from that command
     --could it be that my panels ---have the intercom support disabled will not respond to this command
    The only way I know my 2 panels are 8400i's is the Device ID -289 they are associated whereas a normal 8400 panel has device ID of 323. So I assumed that these panels are 8400i's but have not got any indication that the intercom works on these panels. Under audio settings in Setup page I do see Intercom Mic level and Volume.
    Your panels are probably 8400's and are not intercom capable. There is an error in some documentation about the device ID's, mixing up the 8400 and 8400i, as discussed most recently in the last week in another thread.

Do the panels appear as 8400 or as an 8400i in the NetLinx device tree? That label will be correct.
    So too will be the label inside the panel under the batteries. No i, no intercom.

There's no way to "disable" the intercom bits in a panel and have it not work because of that.

We found that the intercom discovery routines in the AMX module took too much time and caused panel offlines, which started the discovery over when the panels came back. In a large system, this never allowed startup to be completed. We eliminated the discovery and declared (in data, but you could do it in code) what panels were and were not intercom, and what their IP addresses would be. This made it all work dandy and fast.
  • Intercom module modifications

To answer your queston:
    Do the panels appear as 8400 or as an 8400i in the NetLinx device tree? ---- it appears as 8400
    So too will be the label inside the panel under the batteries.
    Label under battery states 8400

Whats weird though is I have 12 panels, and when I retrieve the Device Id's from each one - 2 of them return
    289 whereas the other panels return 323.
    Also, like I said, the panels with Device ID of 289 are the only two panels that have Intercom Mic level and Volume in audio settings in Setup page.

So if these truly are 8400's then why are the Device ID's different and also why do I see Intercom Mic level and Volume?
    Late model 8400's are very similar to 8400i's internally and use the same firmware. The intercom bits on the setup page for an 8400 won't work.

The ID error is buried in firmware and will likely vary with version.

One thing is certain, your panels are not intercom capable. You can stop trying....
  • Intercom module modifications

I think your right John, these 2 panels indicate they are 8400i but are not because of some firmware glitch as these are newer 8400 panels. Guy sold it to me stating it was 8400i, time to get my money back as I wasted alot of time but did learn alot - thanks!