Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

Sound problem with firmware 2.65.13

Has anyone seen this problem after getting a panel back from the MVP5200i battery recall? When they come back they have new firmware installed (2.65.13) that, so far has two issues that I have noticed.

1) It won't play wav files anymore. I have the same panel file on an 8400 and a 5200i and the 8400 plays the wav files fine, as does TPD4, but the 5200i won't make a sound, even though its default button sound can be heard if enabled.

2) The 'batt time' command no longer works properly.

I sent a touch panel back to AMX because of the sound issue but when it came back it still had the same problem and tech support were able to reproduce it so it looks like the new firmware might be the culprit.
Paul

Comments

• Options
    Would you mind posting the offending page & sound? Or, providing the sound files information (sample rate, sample size, etc..)? There were no changes to the audio system in the 2.65.13 release.

You might also try re-downloading the pages just in case something funny happened.

There have been no other reports of sound not playing. We have tested a variety of files on panels in house and have not found any that would not play.

Incidentally, the test sound is actually a wav file: signed 16bit 16kHz mono.

Thanks!
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    jtalley wrote: »
    Would you mind posting the offending page & sound? Or, providing the sound files information (sample rate, sample size, etc..)? There were no changes to the audio system in the 2.65.13 release.

You might also try re-downloading the pages just in case something funny happened.

There have been no other reports of sound not playing. We have tested a variety of files on panels in house and have not found any that would not play.

Incidentally, the test sound is actually a wav file: signed 16bit 16kHz mono.

Thanks!

I emailed them to Leslie in TS and she also found that they play on 8400s but not 5200is running 2.65.13. So far, every 5200 that has come back from advanced repair with the new firmware won't play the sounds although they did previous to the upgrade.
    Paul
  • Options
    So apparently there was a /slight/ change in the audio system in 2.65.13 :)

As a short term fix, you could add silence to the file to bring it up to about 16k in length. The SIP release for 5200 will address this problem.
  • Options

As a short term fix, you could add silence to the file to bring it up to about 16k in length. The SIP release for 5200 will address this problem.

Thanks for the info. Adding silence at the end of the file might work, but its a sound that is supposed to react quickly so I want it to be very short. I'll give that a try though and see if I can make it work well enough until the new firmware comes out.
    Paul
  • Options

I have some audio files that are at least 16kb but they don't play either with this firmware. Any other ideas? I am not a big fan of the default button sound.
    Paul
  • Options
    You could try a changing the sampling rate and/or channel number (stereo v mono). I'm assuming the sound is within reason for the size of the speaker on the 5200? You won't be able to get a nice deep booming bass sound :)

All of the samples we tried after hearing (pun intended) about the lack of sound on the smaller sized files played without issue. I'd be curious what the stats (file size, sampling rate, channels, etc...) of your sound files are that are not working.
  • Options
    I'd be curious what the stats (file size, sampling rate, channels, etc...) of your sound files are that are not working.

11kb and 17kb, 32 bit float, 44.1kHz, stereo wav files that had worked on all touch panels prior to the firmware upgrade.
    Paul
  • Options
    I think it would be a great idea to provide us with your sample audio files. Having these files can help us rectify this issue. There is a new firmware release in queue that I would like to try these samples against and make sure they play fine.
  • Options
    I think it would be a great idea to provide us with your sample audio files. Having these files can help us rectify this issue. There is a new firmware release in queue that I would like to try these samples against and make sure they play fine.

I have tried a few default Windows sounds and some of them play and others don't. I have a suspicion that it has something to do with the size of the file, but not too sure.

Try loading the wav file called "Windows XP Information Bar.wav" from your C:\WINDOWS\Media folder on a MVP-5200i sporting the new firmware and see if you can hear it.
    Paul
  • Options
    Looks like the new firmware 2.65.21 fixed the sound issue. As soon as it rebooted after the upgrade the sound triggered when it came online. Thanks AMX!
    Paul