Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Conspiracy theory?

Has anyone been losing their stylus when sending in either an 8400 or 5200? We've been noticing they keep being returned with them missing . . . perhaps an attempt to resell them back to us? Hmmmmm.

That or our techs are playing games . . . the mystery continues!

Comments

• I got a brand new 5200 a few months back and it came without the stylus. I called AMX and they sent me some stylus's, except they were for an 8400. So I called again and they sent me the correct ones. Now I have more stylus's then I need.

Want to buy one?
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    TonyAngelo wrote: »
    I got a brand new 5200 a few months back and it came without the stylus. I called AMX and they sent me some stylus's, except they were for an 8400. So I called again and they sent me the correct ones. Now I have more stylus's then I need.

Want to buy one?

No - but I'll call them and do the same thing you did. We've got several panels now missing (5200s and 8400s) their stylus. :D

Who'd you talk to? Tech support or sales?
  • jjames wrote: »
    No - but I'll call them and do the same thing you did. We've got several panels now missing (5200s and 8400s) their stylus. :D

Who'd you talk to? Tech support or sales?

I'm sure it wasn't tech support, most likely sales.
  • Aren't they styli?
    Aren't they styli?

You know - I was wondering that! Although Wiki has a bad rap for being very one sided, I'm not sure how you argue semantics.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    There exists minor controversy about the correct pluralization of "stylus". The form "styli" or even "stylii" has become acceptable, even among major American manufacturers of styluses and online dictionaries, based on the assertion that it is a direct loanword from Latin. However, "stylus" is in fact an English word based on the Latin word "stilus", and is more appropriately pluralized in English as "styluses". Use of "stylii" is incorrect, as it is based on the nonexistent Latin word "stylius".
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    jjames wrote: »
    Has anyone been losing their stylus when sending in either an 8400 or 5200? We've been noticing they keep being returned with them missing . . . perhaps an attempt to resell them back to us? Hmmmmm.

That or our techs are playing games . . . the mystery continues!
    This has to be your greatest post... and you've had a few good ones!
    I'm starting to think it's a communist plot to rule the stylus world. :)
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    there's a great little story in the Hitchhiker's Guide novels about the mysterious ratchet screwdriver fruit tree. Paraphrasing:

"In an infinitely large universe, like for example ours, there is no need for manufacturing any more. Everything you could possibly need or want probably grows on a tree somewhere. the issue is simply finding it.

Thus it is also true for the ratchet screwdriver tree. The life cycle of the tree is facinating. The ripe fruit is harvested and shipped all over the universe to hardware stores. Then it is bought and given at holidays to people as gifts where it eventually ends up in a dusty tool drawer. No one has every figured out how this benefits the plant.

There it lies dormant and unused for several years where it eventually sheds it plastic handle and disintegrates into a fine red and black powder. The only remaining part left is a silver shaft with two funny flanges at the top that seem to serve no purpose. "

Perhaps the stylus is the same kind of thing.
    Dang . . . I thought my Chuck Palahniuk novels were strange.