Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

OMG, CV5 connected using 8723 as ethernet?!

hi pros,

i am a newbie engin and i would like to ask a question.

the project currently i involved which are using NI-4000 and CV 5 panels.
however it was using CP4 when it was designed and wired, so CV 5 can only using ethernet then i try to still using the the wired 8723 and connect to the RJ45 connector with foot 1,2,3,6 for data transaction.

However it is acting strange, some of the panels are working just fine but others even tho the wires are connected, using the wire checking tools are checked fine, and the panel is working fine when pug in the hub with patch cord.

distance to the master, the one is working is about 50m and non-working one is about 80m
for other room, the 2 workings are about 20-30m and the non-working one is about 40m.

just strange

The Panel's ethernet is still not working ! we are furstrated by this already and seeking for any help, any opinion that can help us!

please kindly help us for this !!! thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Running Ethernet over anything but properly terminated CATx Cable is not recommended, the specific twist and conductor lengths are tightly specified.

When you say the cable runs test fine with a cable tester, is this a Ethernet LAN tester or just a basic CAT5 cable tester?

If you connect a Laptop to the end, does the laptop obtain a network connection correctly?

I know its not what you want to hear, but you should recable the job using the correct cable.
  • Options
    travtrav Posts: 188
    Eeeep

Not to be a party pooper but as Jim said, you really need to recable, I'm sure it bells out fine, ie the continuity is there pin for pin, but if you can a 'Certification Meter' over it it would be All Aboard the Fail Boat time.

Sure you can use cat 5 to distribute your 12V power around the house, but the limit of the connector blocks is 0.5A and due to the guage of the cable, after about 3 or 4 meters, the power loss will give you much less than 12V at the equiptment.

There are many things you CAN do, but only a few you SHOULD do.

Such is the case with your wiring, it will probably work over short distances, although I recon the packet loss would be quite bad, but without the inherent characteristics of the CAT-5 cable you are missing out on the noise cancelation properties. There are EIA/TIA specs for a reason.

I've had to walk around Job sites with a Cert Meter and chop off over 65% of the terminations, (last time I let a sparky terminate Data cables) you should get a nice print out detailing the specs of each cable run, with its associated length and attenuation and a compliance with the specific standard.

That way you can be assured that your ethernet is within spec and will run as expected, without this, well you are just rolling the dice!
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I get this kind of thing all the time:

1) It passes a continuity check
    2) I have a link light

It must be good, right?

Well ... no.

Most tests that are fine for other types of signal are only good to tell you if the Ethernet run is bad, you can't rely on them to tell you if it's good. You need a proper Ethernet tester for that (and I don't mean the $60 one from Home Depot ... that will tell you if it's mis-wired, and nothing more). It's very susceptible to noise and crosstalk that standard wiring tests simply won't show. You might even get other Ethernet devices to talk on the run where others won't work at all ... but you can guarantee even those aren't working full speed.
  • Options
    actually when i am testing in office , i am using it to go on internet lol

when at the site some panels are working fine (the light is fine and can control will not problem)

but some just can't connect.

i know it is tightly specified, technically speaking i won't do the transform like this ever, however the suitation is needed to work like this lol

the 8723 have 2 twisted pair as well but just not much twist as cat 5, ofcause when i do the termination i used the twisted pair just like cat 5, also 8723 have metal shielding for data interuption, that's y i thought it work.

i think the twisted pair is the main problem i suppose the working panel 's twist is just fit the cat 5 spec but other's don't. it is all about luck.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    My experience is that testing an Ethernet connection with a PC is also only a "verify if it's bad" kind of test. PC NICs seem to be far more robust and able to deal with crosstalk and noise than other devices.

I was at a client's the other day who was complaining they couldn't get online with their Wii. Sure enough, the Wii was not connecting, yet my laptop, sitting right next to it, had no problem at all, using the same wireless connection and WAP. Neither would their XBox, also in the same room. It wasn't until I connected them both to the wireless built into their router that I got it to work ... and of the three wireless connections (yes, all on different channels), that was the weakest. PCs had no difficulty with any of the three, but the games were far more fussy and would only connect to the router.