Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Closest c language derrivative?

I'm going to be picking up a c reference manual to hep me with my programming, buy what version of c is netlinx closest to? Object c, c+, etc?

Comments

• HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    I think you will be disappointed if you try to learn about Netlinx programming by studying a C language manual. Go to http://www.amx.com/techcenter/manuals.asp?Category=Development%20Tools and download the "Language Reference Guide-Netlinx Programming Language." It will tell you everything you need to know, like it or not.

If you have no experience with a programming language and want to learn general programming language concepts, try Java instead of C. You'll not only become familiar with how programming languages work, you'll also acquire skills which are directly applicable to AMX programming if you decide, eventually, to jump off the Duet programming bridge. Also Netlinx is probably as close to Java as it is to C++. Sun has a pretty intense set of Java tutorials which you can download for free.
  • Good to know. Thanks!
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    NetLinx looks a lot like vanilla C, but the differences are enough to be more of a hindrance than help if you were to study it. About the only real correspondence is the basic syntax. I agree it won't help you much to study it too much in depth.

On the other hand, Java won't really help you either with NetLinx itself. It will be useful if you plan on writing Duet modules, but you will need to know NetLinx as well; you can't do an entire project in Java. You can, however, do a project entirely without Java, so make NetLinx your first priority.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    Hedberg wrote: »
    [...] you'll also acquire skills which are directly applicable to AMX programming if you decide, eventually, to jump off the Duet programming bridge.

This has me in stitches. What are you trying to insinuate? :D
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    Auser wrote: »
    This has me in stitches. What are you trying to insinuate? :D

Nothing, really. Java and Duet, I am very sure, place powerful resources at the AMX programmer's disposal. However, it's a non-trivial undertaking. At one time, I wanted to do it, but I found out better.
  • Concepts you can learn from another language: variables, program flow, IF, FOR, SWITCH, functions, basic data types, arrays. You can learn these from C, C#, or Java with similar syntax to NetLinx. I do not recommend C++ because there are too many concepts that do not apply compared to, say, C. If you can read the NetLinx Language Reference manual and have it make sense, you probably don't need to start with another language. If you don't know what x++ means, start with another language first.