Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

NO or NC

I have ran into an issue where a device requires a N.C. contact. The relays on all AMX controllers are N.O.
Without the use of code there is no way to change this setup, I was wondering if there was enough interest or need to ask AMX to make these relays N.O./N.C. adjustable via dip switches. I know that all I need to do is add a N.C. relay but I perfer to keep the number of devices to a min. for both troubleshooting and reliablity purposes. Just tossing this out for some input.

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    There have been a couple of times where this would be nice. The biggest issue was when we were using the Niles AC-3. Whenever the processor would reboot, so would everything on the AC-3 since it requires 12v (NC) to operate. This isn't a huge issue as the processor is not rebooting on a regular basis, but since the devices on the AC-3 are cable boxes, whenever I did reboot the processor for a code change, the guide data would be lost for a couple hours.

I suppose the question I need answered is how much more would I have to pay to have this option added to the processors? If it is only a couple bucks per processor, it might be nice to have. If it is $50+ added to every processor I buy, I would rather not see it. The requirement is infrequent enough on my jobs that the extra expense does not pay for itself. Right now, all of my power control is being handled via IP controlled power strips (SynAccess). The only other device I can remember needing a NC contact was a door latching magnet, and I would up having to use an outboard relay closer to the device to avoid low power issues.

Jeff
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    I have ran into an issue where a device requires a N.C. contact. The relays on all AMX controllers are N.O.
    Without the use of code there is no way to change this setup, I was wondering if there was enough interest or need to ask AMX to make these relays N.O./N.C. adjustable via dip switches. I know that all I need to do is add a N.C. relay but I perfer to keep the number of devices to a min. for both troubleshooting and reliablity purposes. Just tossing this out for some input.

I was complaining about this the other day. If you have a lift or some other mechanical device, there is no way to make sure it doesn't move during a reboot without a NC relay. I would be all for it.
    Paul
  • banobano Posts: 173

Now I remember what I miss about the old Phast systems, the relay cards contained jumpers for no/nc.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    bano wrote: »
    Now I remember what I miss about the old Phast systems, the relay cards contained jumpers for no/nc.

In cases where this was the case I would put in intervening relay that is NC. Then my act of closing the NI relay would open the intermediate relay.

That way there won't be wackiness when I have to reboot the master or whatnot.

In general I like to put in a relay as it isolates the NI master from whatever's using the relay. It helps with ground loops and voltage potentials on large, spread out systems.
  • bano wrote: »

Netlinx relay cards also have jumpers for no/nc.

--D
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    dchristo wrote: »
    Netlinx relay cards also have jumpers for no/nc.

--D

That's interesting. I wonder if the inboard relays have this feature too.
    Paul