Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Temperature sensing

I need to hook a temperature sensor up to my NI-3000 for the purpose of monitoring the temperature of a saltwater aquarium. Two quick questions:

1. Most commercial/laboratory temperature sensors output a variable voltage depending on the temperature they're reading. Which AMX hardware can read these voltage changes? I know the I/O ports respond to high/low changes, but can I actually read an exact voltage present?

2. Any advice on a good temperature sensor that is known to work well with whatever AMX hardware can read the changes?

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a product that can read analog i/o and output via RS232, that would work too.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    First a warning (although I'm sure you already knew this): I would never use this to control/regulate anything - always rely on a dedicated controller to keep those fish alive and keep your liability in line.

AMX makes the NXC-VAI4 which can sense voltages ranging from 0 - 12VDC. You will then create a high-resolution (16-bit) level in Netlinx which will track the input level on the card - you will need to convert it to a temperature which is very simple if the relationship between the voltage and the temperature is linear.

I don't know which probe to use, but would recommend choosing one that can use the card's voltage output for reference purposes to keep things as stable as possible.

You may be able to find (e-bay?) the older AXC-VAI2 which has similar options. For either device you will need a housing (like an NXS-NMS/NXF-MINI/NXF, or an AXF-MINI/AXF-S) to connect it to your NI3000.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    April Aire makes a remote temperature sensor for their RS-232 thermostats which can be set to monitor only. It is a sealed unit, and probably can be submersed; if not, you could certainly make it submersible. These, by the way are the same as the AMX Viewstats - April Aire is the manufacturer and AMX just brands them. Now, I wouldn't personally go so far as to install one just to monitor the fishies, but if you already have a Viewstat system installed, it becomes trivial - just wire it to a local stat as an external sensor, and you get the data right off the Statnet buss.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.

Wilbert: I've got an AXF-BP on my Axlink bus, so the AXC card would work great. I'll try to track one of those down, thank you. As far as using a dedicated controller: My experience with Netlinx has been superb; the only problems I've ever encountered have been caused by me. I have no worries about controlling & regulating the tank with this input, for a few reasons:

1. It's my tank in my home, not a client's.
    2. The "high end" (that I know of) fish tank controllers all use - get this - X10. Yes, really. I'm surprised more people don't lose entire tanks with this arrangement.
    3. Heating & cooling both have failsafes - Heater has it's own thermostat, cooling is done via evaporation (fans blowing on the water) and can't bring the temperature down fast or low enough to be a problem.

I've been trusting AMX hardware to control the lighting for 3 years, and if that were to go bad it could be just as deadly to the corals as a temperature problem. My outlook on this would be different if I were installing it in someone else's home, however.

Dave: I do have a Viewstat, but have been wanting to use a remote temperature sensor for the house -- the stat is in an odd location. Thanks for the tip, though; if I can't find an AXC-VAI2, at least I have this as an option.
  • Options
    RS-232 Temperature for aquarium.

This might work for you. Plus it's inexpensive.

http://www.projectx.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=67

Hope this helps,

Rex
  • Options
    mixumixu Posts: 31
    This might work for you. Plus it's inexpensive.

http://www.projectx.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=67

Hope this helps,

Rex

Has anyone actually used this one that projectx sells. It is cheap and you can get total of 8 temperature sensors on it. I think I will get one for my friends house.

mixu
  • Options
    Axc-temp

Anyone use AXC-Temp for temperature sensing? Is it a good option to Viewstat if the user don't need viewstat as another external control to set temperature.

Thanks
    Charles
  • Options
    bobbob Posts: 296
    Any infos on the projectx' 8port temperatur sensor? It looks interesting!
  • Options
    Bob,

I did get the Project X package with 8 sensors. I have only used 1 of the sensors installed so far in the system and it works great. You basically send any string to the unit and it spits out a string with the temperature readings.

I will play more with it and let you know how it goes. But even at this point I can recomend it to you. Very cheap way to read temperature.

Mixu
  • Options
    tom goeztom goez Posts: 75
    Axc-temp

I use an AXC-TEMP card to monitor and control temperatures in my house.

I have one sensor (modified) on the north wall of the outside of the house to monitor outside temperatures. The second sensor monitors the house temperature and the third monitors the radio room.

All sensors report within 1/2 degree and are very accurate.

The HVAC control program I wrote has built in anticipation for heating (using rate-of-rise calculations). Works quite well. Temps are shown in either F or C depending on a selection button on the touch panel. It also has a three minute compressor delay built in just in case you want to reload the program in the Netlinx master. This gives the AC compressor time to equalize freon pressures before restarting the unit.

I use an NXB-REL10 on ICSNet to control the furnace and air conditioner.

The system has been in operation for over three years.
  • Options
    Gentlemen,

I have never used the email function in my NI2000. How would I get started? Is there a tech note that I could study?

I would like to get the NI2000 to send an email when the temperature goes over/under a certain point.

thank you

Mixu
  • Options
    Download the i!-EquipmentMonitor file from the i! Integration Solutions sections on the AMX site.

Danny
  • Options
    mixu wrote:
    Bob,

I did get the Project X package with 8 sensors. I have only used 1 of the sensors installed so far in the system and it works great. You basically send any string to the unit and it spits out a string with the temperature readings.

I will play more with it and let you know how it goes. But even at this point I can recomend it to you. Very cheap way to read temperature.

Mixu

Mixu, which temp sensors are you using with the projectx device?

Thanks,
    Bob.
  • Options
    RaitsaRaitsa Posts: 10
    bob, i believe Mixu is using these:
    http://www.projectx.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=66

Mixu will surely correct me, if i am mistaken...
  • Options
    Thanks, Raitsa!
  • Options
    Download the i!-EquipmentMonitor file from the i! Integration Solutions sections on the AMX site.

Danny

Thanks Danny,

I got it to work with no trouble at all. Raitsa will love it, when his sauna will send him an email when it is hot enough to go in.

Bob, Raitsa is correct about those sensors.

Mixu
  • Options
    RaitsaRaitsa Posts: 10
    mixu wrote:
    Thanks Danny,

I got it to work with no trouble at all. Raitsa will love it, when his sauna will send him an email when it is hot enough to go in.
    Mixu

100 C will be enough thanks mixu :)
    Thats how we like it here in the south of Finland.