Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Glass Breakage

I would like to know if anyone has ever tested the tensile strength of a touch panels glass? Today I had an user hit the panel hard enough that he shattered the glass. If 'no' than I am thinking to test the glass with a preasure meter to determind how much force he hammered the poor panel with.

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I have not tested it, but I have seen customers use so much force that their finger was forced to bend backwards slightly and start to turn colors. It's either that, or constant tapping :) Some of the time this indicates a problem with the system (things are not working fast enough or at all), other times this is left over behavior from their previous system which did not work well or didn't respond to touch well.

In all that time, the only broken glass I recall is an 8400 the was on the chair when the owner sat down (the day after we finished the job :( ). Even then, the glass didn't shatter, it just cracked in half as I recall.

Jeff
  • I will post a photo of the panel tomorrow. It looks like someone that took a baseball bat to a car windshield.
  • If you weren't there to witness it, I would suggest something other then a finger caused it.

I've never broke an AMX panel, but have cracked a Niles one before with just my finger.

Kevin D.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    I would like to know if anyone has ever tested the tensile strength of a touch panels glass?
    When I read that the first thing I thought was "someones thinking of building a Dance-Dance-Revolution system with 15" panels..."

I've never heard of a shattered AMX display, the closest I've ever seen is a 5200 that didn't stand up to a clients kid frisbeeing it across the lounge room.
  • Wow, I had a 5200 that didn't break the glass even after the batteries exploded.

Kevin D.
  • I wanna see this picture, I smell a new desktop image
  • I have seen more than one R4 screen cracked by customers. Recently had a 1000vi in a wall mount cracked pretty badly. I think the R4 was on power loss. Customer thought that pushing the button harder would make it respond.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I've only seen two clients with broken panels. One was clearly the client hurling the thing across the room. (drinking was involved in this accident)

The second on, the client swears that he did noting. It's hard to believe since the glass was completely shattered. (Although, I did have to admit that there was no obvious point of impact on the glass) The beauty ring that goes around the parimeter of the panel was also broken.

I too have seen many clients practially punch the panels with no breakage. I'd be interested to know just what the strength and breaking point of the glass is as well.
  • here is the image of the panel. That guy had 1 strong thumb. I would not believe it if my tech had not witnessed it. I checked and the is no indent mark to indicate a pen or or object was used.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Maybe the panel was really hot and the guy had just dipped his thumb in liquid nitrogen? :)

Jeff
  • ROFL, LMAO, LTIP...maybe since he is an engineer and not the train type either.
  • Did the guy look like this?
    He might have a bionic thumb. One of our clients dropped a drill smack onto the center of the touchscreen of an MVP-8400 from a 5' height and it didn't break the glass, only dented the plastic overlay. The panel still worked by the way.

--John
  • mshuntmshunt Posts: 23
    We've had a customer put a pen through a CV7. Other than that they're pretty robust.