Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Zigbee Pro: Round 2 goes to . . .

jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
AMX for their superb job on correcting many (if not all) of the issues discovered 3.0.0. This is the firmware we all hoped for! I've been playing with this firmware for a bit now and it is now extremely stable; the biggest improvement is the fact that the R4s do not fall offline and never coming back. This was the "Achilles' heel" in 3.0.0 and I am happy to say that from what I've heard and seen - this is no longer the case.

My suggestion to everyone: GET THIS FIRMWARE AND UPDATE NOW! I know I jumped the gun a bit last time with 3.0.0 - but this time I can say with confidence, it's great!

Comments

• mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    jjames wrote: »
    AMX for their superb job on correcting many (if not all) of the issues discovered 3.0.0. This is the firmware we all hoped for! I've been playing with this firmware for a bit now and it is now extremely stable; the biggest improvement is the fact that the R4s do not fall offline and never coming back. This was the "Achilles' heel" in 3.0.0 and I am happy to say that from what I've heard and seen - this is no longer the case.

My suggestion to everyone: GET THIS FIRMWARE AND UPDATE NOW! I know I jumped the gun a bit last time with 3.0.0 - but this time I can say with confidence, it's great!
    I'm updating as we speak. Do you still need 1 gateway per R4?

And yes, it was more like Achilles' mom got dyslexic and only dipped in his heel instead of holding him by his heel and dipping the rest of him in.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    mpullin wrote: »
    I'm updating as we speak. Do you still need 1 gateway per R4?
    No, you don't *need* one gateway per R4; setting up a mesh network is one of the powerful features for Zigbee. There is a technical limit though with the number of repeaters I believe - it's posted on here. I'll need to dig it up . . .

But right now I have two repeaters connected to a gateway and have two R4s that connect through the gateway & repeaters, it works great. Setting up the mesh networks allows the R4s to roam throughout the house. Also in that home we have a single R4 that doesn't roam, and because of it's location it was too far from the other repeaters & gateway to work reliably, so we just threw in one more gateway and have it connect to that one exclusively. All remotes work perfectly and the handing off between repeaters is "reasonable" at best - however I've not tested the hand-off with this firmware, so I can't say whether or not it's been improved since 3.0.0.
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    AMX did a great job!
    I can say with confidence... UPDATE NOW! :)
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    So far so good everyone?
  • nielsynielsy Posts: 32
    Super

Yes, I've also update all R4 in a large project with some issue with the R4's.
    But it's great! It looks like that they are faster then before the update... maybe only in my case??

I very happy with the update!
  • KennyKenny Posts: 209
    Updated 7 R4s, 3 Gateways and 1 repeater last week at a house that has been having issues for almost a year.
    The owner sent a very nice email to me saying that this is the best that the system has ever worked. He was just days away from asking for a refund.
    Thanks Roger H and the rest of AMX for getting these issues corrected.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    nielsy wrote: »
    It looks like that they are faster then before the update... maybe only in my case??
    If you were running firmware prior to Z-Pro (3.0.0), then yes, you'll notice a significant increase in speed. If going from 3.0.0 to the most recent release I think you may notice a *slight* increase in speed. I personally haven't noticed a difference, but when talking to others who've updated with this firmware within the past few days one had said it was faster.

As always, YMMV.
  • Kenny wrote: »
    He was just days away from asking for a refund.

I'm happy for you that you were able to get the owner satisfied. That's got to be one of the worst feelings when the client's not happy.

--John
  • I upgraded two gateways to this (one from 3.0.0 and another from 1.something). Problem now is I'm also trying to upgrade two R4s but they can connect to them for over the air firmware upgrade. One R4 has 3.0.0 for firmware and the other one has 1.something. I will be dedicating each gateway to each R4. Help, anyone?
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    fretmarks wrote: »
    I upgraded two gateways to this (one from 3.0.0 and another from 1.something). Problem now is I'm also trying to upgrade two R4s but they can connect to them for over the air firmware upgrade. One R4 has 3.0.0 for firmware and the other one has 1.something. I will be dedicating each gateway to each R4. Help, anyone?

Are you trying to upgrade the firmware via a wireless transmission to them? If so, that will not work. You have to connect to the remotes using a USB cable and transfer via Virtual Master. Also, make sure you transfer the firmware files in the appropriate order and don't let the remote reboot between file transfers, or you will have to downgrade and then upgrade in the correct order. Also, you have to upgrade the version 1.something remote to v3.0.0 before going to the latest firmware.

Jeff
  • Is that so? I've read the instructions from amx.com, and I believe I was misled because they specifically said FOR OVER THE AIR UPGRADES FOR THE R3 and R4. Either that, or I didn't understand the instructions. :-)

NXR-ZGW NetLinx ZigBee Pro Gateway Firmware

NEW LOADING PROCEDURE for v3.01.07:

1. This upgrade will require two loads of the file SW5791_01A_NXR_ZGW_v3_01_07.kit. The first load will fail after the third file is transferred with the NetLinx error message "Transfer Aborted- Unsupported file type." After getting this error message, reboot the gateway and verify that the NetLinx OnLine Tree shows v3.01.07 for the version on the gateway. Transfer file SW5791_01A_NXR_ZGW_v3_01_07.kit to the gateway a second time with the "Reboot Device" box checked in NetLinx. This time the entire kit file will transfer. After the gateway reboots, it will download the firmware to the radio. This will take approximately two minutes.
    2. Load SW5795_92_ZIGBEE_END_DEVICE_v3_01_05.kit - a gateway reboot IS NOT necessary after sending this file.
    3. Load SW5791_07_ZIGBEE_REPEATER_v3_01_05.kit - a gateway reboot IS NOT necessary after sending this file.

New Features:

* The radio builds have been broken out of the gateway kit file. Each radio has a separate kit file that must be loaded onto the gateway - SW5795_92_ZIGBEE_END_DEVICE_vX_XX_XX.kit and SW5791_07_ZIGBEE_REPEATER_vX_XX_XX.kit. This was done so that changes made to any one of the radio builds may be loaded onto the gateway without rebuilding the gateway kit file. The file SW5795_92_ZIGBEE_END_DEVICE_vX_XX_XX.kit contains the radio firmware for over the air upgrades for the R3 and R4. The file SW5791_07_ZIGBEE_REPEATER_vX_XX_XX.kit contains the radio firmware for over the air upgrades for the NXR-ZRP-PRO Repeater.