Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

Level Control MVP8400

I am having problems with using level control on a MVP8400 v2.46.38 (not the newest, i know)

i have a passive bargraph with range 0 - 100. then an up and down button with level control. the range time up and range time down do not seem to
have any effect on the speed of ramping the level. i used range times from 1 up to 600 (it states in the help file that these are 1/10th seconds) but every value i tried result in the same speed.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Anyone.......?
  • Options
    Level Control MVP8400

I have programmed a number of MVP-8400 panels but my level control has always been tied to a device (NXC-VOL4 levels) and not to a button. Using the configurable settings on a VOL4, I can change the level ramp rate on 8400 levels and this works fine. However, your application is different and I have not tested that method for using ramp rate. I do not have any 8400s handy but I will try to get one here later in the week and run a test for you. All of my 8400s are also still on the 2.46 firmware level.

Just to confirm, can you provide the property settings for the level and the Up/Down buttons. Are you using Relative or Absolute control? What are the control value and control repeat fields set to? Etc. If you do not have any resolution by later in the week, I will let you know what I discover.

Reese
  • Options
    Please check the following:

- assigned the correct level in the control buttons?
    - range high/low in the control buttons the same as the level?
    - have you defined a LEVEL CONTROL VALUE?
    - control buttons defined as relative control?

Is the Onboard Level control working in PanelPreview?

Find also attached an MVP8400 panelfile (created w/ TPD4 v2.4)
  • Options
    Please check the following:

check- assigned the correct level in the control buttons?
    check- range high/low in the control buttons the same as the level?
    check- have you defined a LEVEL CONTROL VALUE?
    check- control buttons defined as relative control?

check- Is the Onboard Level control working in PanelPreview?

Find also attached an MVP8400 panelfile (created w/ TPD4 v2.4)
    --
    Marc,
    The level control itself is working fine, it's just the speed of ramping that i cannot influence. in your example, the speed of ramping down is faster than ramping up, but see if you can try to set the speed of ramping up SLOWER than it is now....
    The only way i have managed this is by increasing the level range from 0-100 to 0-200, but then i would have to recalculate the level.value in the event.
    (the volume range on the controlled device is from 0-100)
    -- I have attached part of the tpd4 file that contains the level control
  • Options
    In the PROGRAMMING PROPERTIES, you just have to modify the RANGE TIME UP for the Button to ramp up, and the RANGE TIME DOWN for the down button.

The both values will define the time from min-to-max and backward in 10th/sec.

This work pretty fine in PanelPreview (I can't check in a panel at the moment)
  • Options
    Yes, i DO read manuals (no offense), but have you actually tried different values for the range times in my file?, it doesn't seem to have any effect.
  • Options
    Sorry, not seen the attachment.... not good to talk with a customer, a colleque and reading and testing TP4 files the same time ;-)

I see your problem now. Good question for Tech Support.....
  • Options
    The quick answer is change your "Level Control Repeat Time" to something higher.

Level Control Repeat Time is specified in 1/1000 seconds.

My guess is your "Level Control Value" is probably 1 or -1, and internally to G4 the rampTime calculations results in a number approaching 0. If your "Level Control Value" was higher you would see the effects of the Ramp Times.

Also remember you must specify the ranges for both the bargraph and the buttons controlling the level, this is due to the fact that all the UI elements are really just "Views" of a level, not the actuall level. There could be cases where you want multiple bargraphs to control separate portions of a single level. I will attach an example of this.
  • Options
    The quick answer is change your "Level Control Repeat Time" to something higher.

My guess is your "Level Control Value" is probably 1 or -1, and internally to G4 the rampTime calculations results in a number approaching 0. If your "Level Control Value" was higher you would see the effects of the Ramp Times.

Also remember you must specify the ranges for both the bargraph and the buttons controlling the level, this is due to the fact that all the UI elements are really just "Views" of a level, not the actuall level. There could be cases where you want multiple bargraphs to control separate portions of a single level. I will attach an example of this.
    Again, i do read manuals... and already tried what you are suggesting. no change
  • Options
    Dries,

Does it perform the same in Panel Preview as it does on the panel?
  • Options
    i tried different combinations of values for the range times & repeat times. panel preview as well as the MVP ramps the levels at the same speed everytime (level range = 0-100; level control value = 1(up) and -1(down). range time up/down and repeat time have no effect)
  • Options
    I just tried your file on a CV7, I changed the repeat time to 200 for the up button and saw a large difference, I also tried it in panel preview with the same results. What version of firmware are you running on your MVP, also have you tried panel preview? I am attaching my 7inch file I modified, let me know if it works.
    file.zip 766.1K
  • Options
    Thx Joey, level control repeat time indeed makes a difference, but only when it is set to high values (because it is specified in 1/1000), i tried values too low to notice difference. i must start reading manuals! :D
  • Options
    Dries, Joey,

this is from the online help of TP4 v2.4.406

Button Programming Properties - Level Control Repeat

This value determines the repeat time (in 1/10th-second increments) :confused: for relative level control. For example, if this value is set to 10, the user can hold the button down for one second to cause the level to raise or lower repeatedly (according to the specified Level Control Value) without having to press the button each time.

So reading the manual again maybe will still not clear up.... ;)
  • Options
    Marc, I agree that the manual is not exactly clear on this subject.
  • Options
    Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    Again, i do read manuals... and already tried what you are suggesting. no change
    (because it is specified in 1/1000) ... i must start reading manuals! :D

Not so much the manuals, but posts here on the message board, perhaps? :)

- Chip
  • Options
    just glad someone took the time to help me out...
  • Options
    I'm glad I could help, I just ran a test and confirmed it with the Firmware Engineer who wrote the code. The repeat value is in 1/1000 seconds. I will make sure Techpubs changes this in future releases of the manual, and apologize for the confusion. I origianally designed this feature and the we changed the repeat time quite towards the end of the development cycle, it was supposed to be 1/10 of seconds orignally, but that didn't give us enough resolution.
  • Options
    Almost 4 years later but...
    the documentation needs to be changed in the TPD4 help file to reflect that this is in 1/1000 second increments too. Not sure about the latest release, but in my version of TPD4 (2.9) the help file still shows the range up/range down times as 1/10 second increments. Wasted many 1/1000 seconds trying to figure out why the ramp up/down speeds weren't working right.

--John