Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

AXB-VOL3 tripping my amp?

I'm using an AXB-VOL3 to control my rotel 2ch amp. After about 2-5 minutes of running at a fixed volume, the amp trips out. It only seems to happen when I have the VOL3 pushing the audio to it. I wired my standard RCAs into the vol3's in+ and ground terminals for both the inputs and outputs.
Is this the right way to wire it, or do I need something connected to in-?

Comments

• What you describe is an unbalanced to balanced audio connection. Typically, you connect both the shield of the cable and the black wire to the ring or - connection of the RCA and the red wire to the Tip/center/+ connection on the RCA. Then, on the balanced side of the connection, you connect Red to +, Black to -, and shield to the ground.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    What you describe is an unbalanced to balanced audio connection. Typically, you connect both the shield of the cable and the black wire to the ring or - connection of the RCA and the red wire to the Tip/center/+ connection on the RCA. Then, on the balanced side of the connection, you connect Red to +, Black to -, and shield to the ground.

Another thing to be careful of is that the output of the AMX box is +4. If you're using the RCA unbalanced on the amp, it's level is -10.

the act of grounding out the - pin lowers the overall level of a plus 4 output to somewhere around -2 ~-4 depending upon the impedence of the circuit.

So, your levels are still not matched up. They are fairly close so most things don't care too much. But, with a higher quaility peice of gear it could be clipping on the input. This is especially bad on hi-fi gear (not guitar amps) You may have to cheat the output of the Vol box down a bit to compensate.

I have had to build in a limit on AMX vol boxes in programming to assure that this never happens. I think I ended up limiting the output level to something like 190 or 180 in AMX level.
  • vegastechvegastech Posts: 369
    So you're saying that if I just run a jumper from the ground terminal to the - terminal for the input and output on the vol3, I will have issues with the MAX ouput on the vol3? So I CAN do it, and as long as I limit the max level on the vol3, I should be ok?
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    vegastech wrote: »
    So you're saying that if I just run a jumper from the ground terminal to the - terminal for the input and output on the vol3, I will have issues with the MAX ouput on the vol3? So I CAN do it, and as long as I limit the max level on the vol3, I should be ok?

Yes,

If you have an oscillascope or volt meter that can read db or 100ths of a volt you can figure out down to the gnat's eyelash what value you'd need.

run a 1k sine tone through the vol box and slowly tweak the level until you get the voltage down to -10db.

Or, you can just 'ear-ball' it. Play some music and tweak the volume until you start to hear clips. then back it down. Whatever level your end up at should be around the max level.
  • vegastechvegastech Posts: 369
    Yup, that did it! I'm just not used to running unbalanced to balanced...but hey, as long as it works, right?