Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

12v battery for Netlinx Master?

Anyone has used a 12v battery connected in parallel to the 12v DC input of a Netlinx Master, just as an alternative power source... Do I need any protection for overcharging the battery and can I connect both power sources (in the same time) in parallel to the Master's power input or should there be any kind of auto-switching relays or somerhing to auto-switch between those two power sources? Anyone has some schematics available or any ready to use comercially available module for that?

PS: I don't wan't a regular UPS to conenct the power supply to but more a 12v battery like in all of the alarm systems out there.

Comments

• Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I would not use a switchover relay as the momrntary loss of power at switchover could glitch up the memory unless you put a capacitor in parallel as well.

The only simple method I can think of would be a lead acid battery in parallel. The voltage of the power supply would be critical. I would think that the current derived would be the necessary current for the AMX gear plus the trickle charge rate of the battery.

Sounds like fun.
  • Options
    Alarm system power supply
    bob wrote: »
    I don't wan't a regular UPS to conenct the power supply to but more a 12v battery like in all of the alarm systems out there.
    This should do the trick. (Disclaimer: This is not an AMX endorsement for any product, just a personal favorite. Use at your own risk.)

http://www.alarmsaf.com/dcwm.html
  • Options
    dchristodchristo Posts: 177
    How long of a run-time do you expect when on battery power? If it's more than a couple of minutes you'll want to consider the voltage drop as the batteries discharge. We've done battery powered system before, and have used 24-volt battery banks with a DC-DC converter to get the 12-volts at the master. This way as the batteries discharge and the voltage drops, the DC-DC converter maintains a good, solid 12v.

--D
  • Options
    bobbob Posts: 296
    Thanks much, guys for all the great advice!
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity, why put together your own battery system instead of just using a UPS?

--John