Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Newbie question on IP connection with NI3000

Apologies in advance for what I hope is a stupid question....

Background: I am an absolute newbie, I have just done the initial online courses and enrolled for programmer 1 course, but it is some time away. I have bought a second hand NI-3000 (on ebay) in the hope of getting a head start before the course.

Problem:
I am trying to upgrade the firmware before I get started and I have been able to contect via the program port and set the IP address. However I am not able to establish an IP connection.

I have listening via the TCP/IP settings, however with no success.

I have the unit connected via a netgear wireless router and the PC is connected wireless.

In case it is off any relevance, the firmware of the master is v2.32.148 and the controller is v1.00.115.

Any help would be VERY much appreciated, I just don't know where to start....

Also, does anyone have a suggestion on what I could read up on before the course?

cheers, martin

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    m_e wrote: »
    Apologies in advance for what I hope is a stupid question....

Background: I am an absolute newbie, I have just done the initial online courses and enrolled for programmer 1 course, but it is some time away. I have bought a second hand NI-3000 (on ebay) in the hope of getting a head start before the course.

Problem:
    I am trying to upgrade the firmware before I get started and I have been able to contect via the program port and set the IP address. However I am not able to establish an IP connection.

I have listening via the TCP/IP settings, however with no success.

I have the unit connected via a netgear wireless router and the PC is connected wireless.

In case it is off any relevance, the firmware of the master is v2.32.148 and the controller is v1.00.115.

Any help would be VERY much appreciated, I just don't know where to start....

Also, does anyone have a suggestion on what I could read up on before the course?

cheers, martin

when you say you've been 'listening', what do you mean? How are you attempting to connect to the master?
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    Set up your router to provide dhcp. Set up your PC for dhcp. Set up your NI3000 for dhcp. In Netlinx studio, go to settings/master communications settings/communication settings/edit/listen/start listening. Your master will contact your PC/NetlinxStudio via UDP and you can then connect to it. Then, you can change the IP address of the master to a static IP outside the dhcp range but within the subnet. Remember to set the mask. also, set the gateway IP address on your master -- even if it's bogus. If it's not set. it slows down reboots.
  • m_em_e Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replies. I have resolved the issue. It was related to the settings that must have been made by the previous owner. I managed to reset the factory settings via a terminal session and all is working perfectly as expected now.

I presume there is an ability to turn off the ethernet port is there?

cheers, martin
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    m_e wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I have resolved the issue. It was related to the settings that must have been made by the previous owner. I managed to reset the factory settings via a terminal session and all is working perfectly as expected now.

I presume there is an ability to turn off the ethernet port is there?

cheers, martin

You can disable the port's ability to do AMX stuff. I don't know if you can out-right shut it off. Of course, the old fashioned increased air gap method works oto. (unplug the Cat5 cable)