Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules

InConcert Modules vs Manuals

AMX's technical database has always been a great tool to find IR files, RS-232/IP protocols, etc,
However the trend has been for them to only post modules when they have a module available, and the protocol this module has been based on is not/no longer available.

Since I prefer not to use modules (like to know what is going on in my code), this has been a bad development and forces me to search for protocols elsewhere, sometimes "borrowing" data from competitor's modules that are editable. Also the AMX modules allows you a method for passing device control code directly to the device, but they don't make the protocol for this code available.

Would it be possible for AMX to change this policy and not only offer modules for download, but also the third party protocol? I do understand there will be exceptions - like when the manufacturer prevents distribution of their protocol.

There probably already has been a thread on this, if so - please direct me to it.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Ha! I know manufacturers who don't even have their own current protocol. (Sony comes to mind...) I would suppose it would be a daunting task.

As a matter of practice, I try to always get protocols from the manufacturer myself. I figure they have the best chance for accuracy.

I do rely on Remote Central for IR codes. (particularly discrete codes.) I work for a dealership. That helps keep the number of things I have to track down lower. Also, I have the sales reps to beat up if I run into trouble. (Again, Sony comes to mind.)
  • ericmedley wrote: »
    "sales reps to beat up if I run into trouble. (Again, Sony comes to mind.)"

Sony has Sales Reps? I know they do for their video conference attempt, but the rest must be a stealth operation ;-)