Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

icsnet w/com2 netshell help!

I have 2 devices on the end of the icsnet line via netshell com2 card. The 1st projector on it receives the command fine but the 2nd one does not. Ive replaced the shell and card. the code is exactly the same for each device yet 1 of them does not get anything. when listening for the command that comes thru for that device I get '!D' thru the cable end. Any ideas

devices are set up like this.

dvVP1 6001:2:0
dvVP2 6001:1:0

thanks for any and all help. please ask any questions and I will respond to post.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    jjoy wrote: »
    I have 2 devices on the end of the icsnet line via netshell com2 card. The 1st projector on it receives the command fine but the 2nd one does not. Ive replaced the shell and card. the code is exactly the same for each device yet 1 of them does not get anything. when listening for the command that comes thru for that device I get '!D' thru the cable end. Any ideas

devices are set up like this.

What happens if you swap the comm1 and comm2 cables on the AMX side? Does the problem move?

Are both the comm ports configured correctly under the online event for each device?

I noticed you have projector 1 going to comm 2 and projector 2 going to comm 1. Is that what you intended? Nothing is wrong with that, it just seems backwards and I thought it might be a typo.
  • Options
    DiogoDiogo Posts: 65
    Hi Jim,

There are many things may giving this issues, to make sure is not a programming error do this

change this:

for this:
    dvVP1 6001:1:0
    dvVP2 6001:2:0

I guess you know what I mean.. If the projector that won't work begin to work there is a "ghost" in your program :), probably port configuration. If not resolves, see the cabling, the distances etc.

Also see the distances, the projector can be not close enough and give you this error

I wish luck to find what is giving you this problems

best regards,
    Diogo L. W. Nagel
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    What are the LEDs doing? Are they blinking correctly for both com channels? I've had issues before where 1 of the 2 com ports just stopped working and no ICSNET status light. Surge / static discharge?.
    Status LEDs (2 per channel): ? Red LED shows TX (transmit) data activity
    ? Yellow LED shows RX (receive) data activity
    - LED 1: CH1 TX (red)
    - LED 2: CH1 RX (yellow)
    - LED 3: CH2 TX (red)
    - LED 4: CH2 RX (yellow)
    ? Green ICSP status LED (located on the board):
    - On = card is not in communication with the Master.
    - Blinks (1-second intervals) during normal operation.
  • Options
    jjoyjjoy Posts: 5
    The LED's respond i get a red on the 1st and no yellow. on the 2nd I get red then a yellow to follow.

and if I do swap the connectors the problem does follow.

As for the programming logic, it being numbered a little backwards. well i just walked into this one and that is how it is set up. I agree a little backwards but it should be fine.

Jim
  • Options
    Diogo wrote: »
    Hi Jim,

There are many things may giving this issues, to make sure is not a programming error do this

change this:

for this:
    dvVP1 6001:1:0
    dvVP2 6001:2:0

I guess you know what I mean.. If the projector that won't work begin to work there is a "ghost" in your program :), probably port configuration. If not resolves, see the cabling, the distances etc.

Also see the distances, the projector can be not close enough and give you this error

I wish luck to find what is giving you this problems

best regards,
    Diogo L. W. Nagel

next time I am on location i will check this out. Thank you.
    The cable length is approx 300 ft on icsnet.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Check the connectors & cable and also see if there's anything in the device's set up that would enable RS232 coms. You're sending out data to the device but it isn't receiving it or it isn't responding. If the cabling is new between the com2 & device check your pin out, swaps pins 2 & 3. If not check your device and check for cable damage.
  • Options
    vining wrote: »
    Check the connectors & cable and also see if there's anything in the device's set up that would enable RS232 coms. You're sending out data to the device but it isn't receiving it or it isn't responding. If the cabling is new between the com2 & device check your pin out, swaps pins 2 & 3. If not check your device and check for cable damage.

the cable does bother me. as there is .5 in to 1 full inch of the wire exposed from the connector. the sleeves are that far back. not the best termination I may end up cutting them and putting on new connectors. It just gets me that the one projector recieves its command. does one wire take care of the first device and another take care of the second? or do the commands go thru the same set of wires?

I listened to the command comming thru the suspected device and got '!D' it should be getting 'CR0'.

* Im trying to gather all I can for next time I head down there, next week.*

Jim