Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

Audio Quality 8400 vs i

I have a job where I had to pull an 8400i and replaced it with a plain 8400. The clients complained the TP sound wasn't the same afterwards so I verified all the levels were the same. When they power up the theater I would boost the TP's volume to 90 and play the 20th century fox intro on the TP but after the exchange they stated there was a bid difference which I couldn't explain. Sitting here at my desk I've been able to put an 8400 side by side with a 8400i and man is there's a big difference. Not just the audio amplitude but the sound quality is far better. Understandably the "i"s have to sound better for intercom and phone use but ignorantly I assumed they would both play .wav or mp3 files the same or at least close but they're night & day!

Comments

• Options
    It depends on which flavor of 8400 you are talking about. For reference:
    5965-02 = older/original 8400 hardware
    5965-04 = 8400i
    5965-05 = newer 8400

The 5965-02 panels use a different speaker than the 5965-04 (8400i) panels. The -04 panels also have a boxed in speaker that pushes the sound out of the panel. The -02 panels did not have this and some of the sound was lost inside the plastics. Now, the -05 panels also have the boxed in speaker (I think) so you shouldn't hear a difference in sound between the newer 8400 and the 8400i. I am guessing you are comparing a -02 and a -04? If not let me know and I will investigate further.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Yeah it would most likely be an 02 and thanks for the info. How much do I owe you for that? :D Oh wait, it's still 09' and I got a little over 5 hours to get freebies. :)

Have a great new year!
  • Options
    Owe me? I'm engineering. Beer and t-shirts. That's all we require. Happy New Year.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I know, I just have a hard time controlling my sarcastic remarks despite the amount of trouble it gets me in. I'm gonna try and do better next year, really I am but since the suits don't visit us here to often you're the only fair game in town.

We really do like guys from engineering though!

Peace! :)
  • Options
    Have to agree. New Year's eve and the picture explains it all. Highlighted are the threads you posted to just today. Thanks for being involved.

Kevin D.
  • Options
    My pleasure. I realized a long time ago I can't help make a better product if I don't know what the issues are in the field. And if my (or my team's) $0.02 can help save someone frustration/time then everyone wins.