Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

iPod to multizone music server

Anyone have an recommendations/experience with any of the newer products that use an iPod (not iTunes) as a media source/server?

There's a couple boxes out there that you plug a single iPod into and the box then becomes a multi-zone audio media server. (one boasts 6 zones)

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Control 4 offers this ability on some level. Basically, they use the iPod as a thumb drive and just access the MP3s from it. With C4, you can use most thumb drives and I think you can also use USB hard drives, they just mention the iPod for name recognition (IMHO).

I would guess that the devices you are looking at are doing the same thing. They probably read a song from the ipod into native memory and then stream the music.

Jeff
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    Control 4 offers this ability on some level. Basically, they use the iPod as a thumb drive and just access the MP3s from it. With C4, you can use most thumb drives and I think you can also use USB hard drives, they just mention the iPod for name recognition (IMHO).

I would guess that the devices you are looking at are doing the same thing. They probably read a song from the ipod into native memory and then stream the music.

Jeff

Yeah, I also think it pulls the metadata from teh iPod as well and then serves that out. The one we saw tookk a few minutes to 'sync' with the iPod. I'm sure it was pulling all the metadata and audio files.