Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

Modero 17 getting stuck problem

I have Modero 17 which sometime responds very slowly or does not respond at all, even after unpluging/pluging the power. I have to switch the power a few times, and using "magic" of keeping the finger on the screen finally get the calibration done.

The problem occured in a very irregular intervals of time. Sometimes I get a few faults over a day or it may stay ok within months...

I understand that it might be a faulty panel... My other thoughts are network problems(?) But does anyone experience something similar?

Update: the firmware is the latest one.

Comments

• Options
    VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    CV-12's

I am having similar issues with the CV-12's.

It sounds like many are having networking issues with the
    ethernet panels and the NI processors.

I am hoping that AMX discovers some network bug fix that
    will eliminate these problems for everyone.

Thanks.
  • Options
    maxifoxmaxifox Posts: 209
    Regarding the network... The panel has static IP, as well as few others. I also have MVP-8400 which use DHCP. I would say I never saw the problem with panels that use DHCP.

In the panel log I have the following "suspicious" entries:

20: 01-01-1970 THU 00:00:47 WARN network
    Error retrieving MAC information for wlan0: No such device

21: 01-01-1970 THU 00:00:47 WARN network
    Error retrieving MAC information for eth1: No such device

22: 01-01-1970 THU 00:00:46 WARN setup
    Could not read touch driver setting from NvRAM: Remote I/O error

I am going to run eth packet sniffer to catch anything related to the problem...
  • Options
    pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    it may have something to do with the symptons described in this thread:
    http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=540

there is mention of running the ethernet on the TP at 10FullDuplex instead of Auto.
  • Options
    Thanks, pdabrowski, for point out the option. Yes, the panel us set to Auto, and I will to change it. Meanwhile I have other Modero 17 with Auto which working without any problem... Weird indeed...
  • Options
    BTW, any clue or debug recommendations from AMX team?
  • Options
    NXT-1700VG-VGA Lock-Up

I recently installed a NXT-1700VG-VGA in a board room. The client says most mornings it doesn't respond to and they they have to cycle the power to wake it up. I also experienced this when programming it on site. It has a fixed IP address - aren't they the recommended option for AMX device addressing?
  • Options
    Reese JacobsReese Jacobs Posts: 347

There is an AMX Tech Note regarding problems with static IP addresses on VG panels but this only affects the wireless interface for the TP. The wired network interface for the VG panels should work fine with static IP. For the wireless interface, regardless of your settings, it will attempt to DHCP an IP address and you must have a DHCP server with an available IP for the panel in order for the wired interface to work. This was supposed to be fixed in the next revision of the firmware for the touchpanel but I am not sure if the fix is in the latest revision.

If your panel is using the wired interface and is exhibiting these symptoms, it sounds like the old familiar Auto Ethernet mode setting on the touchpanel. Make sure the touchpanel is set to operate in 10Mb/Half Duplex Mode and see if this helps (assuming you are using the wired panel interface). Apparently AUTO is required when using the wireless interface. Note that auto-negotiation may not be your problem but it will be the 1st thing Tech Support asks you to change to see if it makes a difference. It has solved problems with my panels on the network (as well some Masters) on several systems.

Reese
  • Options
    Make sure the touchpanel is set to operate in 10Mb/Half Duplex Mode and see if this helps (assuming you are using the wired panel interface).

Reese, should the other end (switch/hub port) be set to 10/half mode as well?
    What about panel firmware version or it does not matter?
  • Options
    Reese JacobsReese Jacobs Posts: 347

My understanding is that the problem is with auto-sensing speed and duplex and is unique to the AMX touchpanel and/or Master. No changes are needed to the switch/hub although there is an old Tech Note regarding a FastLink option on Cisco routers that needs to be disabled for the Netlinx gear to properly connect and stay connected. Some of these Tech Notes are pretty old and from time to time problems get fixed in new firmware releases. I know that we still had problems with some Modero panels on the firmware release prior to 2.55 and I have no reason to believe that the problem has gone away in 2.55. It was once explained that it is related to the hardware implementation of the network interface on the AMX devices. Note that sometimes it is not a problem at all - I have some Masters and touchpanels (as do a lot of others) that are set to Auto and work fine. It is a function of the AMX devices with certain hubs and switches and the auto-sensing functionality. I also tend to use a lot of wireless panels which require the AUTO setting so I don't run into the problem with touchpanels too often. I am more inclined to run into the problem with a Master but overall I tend to see the problem (and hear about the problem) with respect to touchpanels far more than Masters - that has been my experience.

Reese
  • Options
    veraviewveraview Posts: 44
    I just finished a 17" install with a lot of computer control. One PC (an HP, I believe, running RealVNC) would hibernate and occasionally do something really bad with its NIC that kept the panel "soft" booting, working slowly, then booting again. Drove me nuts for a while, and just pulling the ethernet cable out of that PC got the panel working smoothly again.

Funny, JohnCharlton mentioned his 1700VG doesn't wake up, and two I just installed never sleep!
  • Options
    update

updating the thread... We found the panel freeze problem most likely relates with either faulty touch overlay or its driver. Could not find anything network related... So preparing an RMA case...