Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Multi-purpose room, 1 Controller, 4 TP's, Multiple Configurations

I'm having trouble getting my head wrapped around the logic of how to manage a multi-purpose room.

NI-3100 controller, 4 MVP-5150's, 4 projectors, 4 DVD's, 1 Video Conferencing Codec, 1 Audio Conferencing unit, Audio Mixer, and a Video Matrix Switch (multi-plane, VGA, DVI, and Audio).

Rooms can be separate A,B,C,D. Combined... A&B, C&D, A,B,C,&D.

How would you set up your TP's? Select Source, then Room Config or Select Room Config, then Source. (Remember - this set-up gets used by multiple persons who are not AV savvy - Almost need to walk people through the process of setting up the room(s) without making the TP look like a switcher).

How would you handle changing of sources/room config without shutting the system down.

The Audio Mixer is a Biamp Nexia System... I use presets for different configs, and the room combiner block. But I have to use multiple presets for each room configured only to turn certain things on/off so as not to disturb other areas in use.

Touch panel designs are not identical, because all sources are not available in all rooms.

The basics of the system currently work, but am having issues when combining and uncombining.

Mostly looking for a different logic flow than the one I have. I'm the only programmer at my company, have never done a 4 room multi-purpose area before, and would welcome any and all suggestions. Designer gave 44 hours for programming, TP design, and configuration of equipment - I'm over 120+ hours as of right now and quite frankly don't see an end in site.

Help?

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Are there floating walls or partitions that divide the room when splitting the area? If so, see if you can add sensors to them so you know when they are closed. This means you can automatically detect the room configuration.

Once you are able to determine room configuration, you can tackle the touch panels. I would start with a "Pick Your Location" type of screen. Display the appropriate graphic for the room layout and let the user pick the room. (This would be easier with fixed user interfaces as you would know what system they control) In the installs I have done, we try to put a keypad on the wall for very simple operation (turn on to input and turn off). This scares people the least as they feel comfortable just pushing a button (as long as it works :) ). There is also a touch panel or more advanced control for the power users, but most of the people using the rooms we have done just want to go in, pick Computer and present to the client using the keyboard and mouse... they don't want to think about anything else.

You do have to clarify how the other displays operate when the room is one big room. Do they want all displays showing the same thing, only the display on one end, some other configuration? Once you have them define how they should operate, you can make the decision for them based on the wall configuration. The key is to limit choices without eliminating functionality. 95% of the people that go in there do not want to think about the AV system, they want to do their work and go home :)

You can add some advanced functionality that is available on a different page if they request it or the IT dept wants more control, but in most cases, you will find that the path of least resistance is the one taken.

Jeff
  • The first thing I'd do is kill the designer. 44 hours is kind of light.

For this kind of setup, I generally start with a room mode/configuration page. There would be 4 buttons possible with the choices All Separate, All Combined, A+B, C+D.

You don't say if there are multiple masters or a single one. I have had systems like this all run from one, run on a master per room, and one that had one per room plus a "master" master just for good measure.

For multiple masters, I create a virtual device and use channels and levels to allow each of the masters to know what the status is of the system. Otherwise I just keep track using internal variables.

If a particular room has the panel at the logo page, I consider it as open. Once the panel switches off of the logo, it is considered in use. I use this information to disable the buttons that can not be pressed. For example, if someone touches the logo on room A's panel the status for room A is then busy. At that point the A+B and all combined buttons are disabled. (In your case with the 4 rooms, Room A and Room B would not need the C+D button so you would really only need Separate, Combined, or A+B). Disabling the buttons leave them visible but the are "greyed-out".

I use the logo page method so that rooms can't be hijacked by another user. I tell the users that if room B says it is busy and you know it is not, then the previous user of room B did not shut down the system when they were through. If it is really available, user A can go into room B and clear that system.

Once the select a mode of operation, I can do other things. For example, if Room A selected that they wanted to combine all, the the panel in room A becomes the master panel and the others display a locked message.

The only other issue that is a bother is when devices are shared. You mention one VTC system. If only a specific room can use that device, then there is no real issue. But if every room has a camera, then the codec would be a shared device and it could be used a variety of ways. For example, if you have A+B mode selected, you now have a codec and two cameras to use and control. In this case, panel A would be used to control the system, panel B would have the locked message, and panels C and D would have the individual or C+D options available.

If a device is shared among the various rooms, I generally have a "shared devices" page where the user can reserve the device for their use. If they change their mind, they can also go back here and free the device. In any event, when they shut down the system the device is made available again. Once a user claims a shared device, the button for it on their panel remains active while the buttons for that device on the other panels are disabled.

I really feel your pain. Since you have a variety of users, I would direct the setup of the room by first asking what mode they will be using, and after that is determined lead them through selecting any available shared devices that they plan on using for their meeting. Only after that would I let them actually start controlling the system. By dynamically changing the panels, you will also be able to prevent them from disturbing another meeting by keeping them away from unavailable devices.

If the area has movable walls with sensors, you could also limit the options available to them based on the sensors. For example, if the walls are all in place, they can only use the room in individual mode.
  • Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    Are there floating walls or partitions that divide the room when splitting the area? If so, see if you can add sensors to them so you know when they are closed. This means you can automatically detect the room configuration.

Yes - there are walls - but no sensors and none in the scope of the job (installers are done and long gone). So room configs have to be selected via the TP's.
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    Once you are able to determine room configuration, you can tackle the touch panels. I would start with a "Pick Your Location" type of screen. Display the appropriate graphic for the room layout and let the user pick the room. (This would be easier with fixed user interfaces as you would know what system they control) In the installs I have done, we try to put a keypad on the wall for very simple operation (turn on to input and turn off). This scares people the least as they feel comfortable just pushing a button (as long as it works :) ). There is also a touch panel or more advanced control for the power users, but most of the people using the rooms we have done just want to go in, pick Computer and present to the client using the keyboard and mouse... they don't want to think about anything else.

Currently, location is determined by the TP you use. IE - Rm B and Rm D only have controls for the single room/area - no controls for combining or selecting sources not available locally in that room. Every area/room has it's own MVP-5150. And believe me - I know that they want this to be as simple as possible to operate. That is why I currently limit combining of rooms to TP A and TP C.
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    You do have to clarify how the other displays operate when the room is one big room. Do they want all displays showing the same thing, only the display on one end, some other configuration? Once you have them define how they should operate, you can make the decision for them based on the wall configuration. The key is to limit choices without eliminating functionality. 95% of the people that go in there do not want to think about the AV system, they want to do their work and go home :)

Projectors are in the fours corners of the rooms when combined - and they want the option to choose which projectors they want on when the room is one big room. Generally they will all show the same thing when all are combined.

Sounds like I need to revise my SOURCE selection and then ROOM config and do ROOM config and then SOURCE selection - along with which projectors to use when all rooms are combined.

I do appreciate the reponse. Thanks