Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

NXV-300 issues

i got a site which uses the NXV-300, the modero virtual touch panel. It had come preloaded with a demo touch panel. I did a firmware upgrade and then loaded my touch panel made for the nxv-300. The touch panel is about 17 mb size and after loading it. I am not able to see the device online in my online tree or in TPD4. I am able to telnet the device and even i reset it to factory settings, i am not able to see it online. I telnet the device and put in the command 'Disk Free' and found there is no free memory at all. So i need to send it back to do a format the flash drive. My question is how do i remove the preloaded touch panel file and is there any limitation to the touch panel file that needs to be loaded to the device.

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    If you can telnet in, try a 'clean disk' command. I'm not sure if it works on the touch panels, but it does work on masters.

Jeff
  • tried that

I did all the commands in telnet, clean disk, clean disk -f, etc. but nothing seems to clean it
  • gsmithgsmith Posts: 59
    How long have you waited after power cycling the NXV-300? I would suggest that you power cycle the panel, then go away and let it sit for awhile (15 to 30 minutes) and then check to see if it is online.
  • Power cycled 4 a day

I did the power cycle and waited for a day but still no success
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    John Paul wrote: »
    My question is how do i remove the preloaded touch panel file and is there any limitation to the touch panel file that needs to be loaded to the device.
    This is the last item from the last page of the operational reference guide:
    After downloading a panel file or
    firmware to a G4 device, the panel
    behaves strangely.
    Symptoms include:
    ? Having to repeat the download.
    ? Inability to make further downloads to the panel. May get "directory"
    errors, "graphics hierarchy" errors, etc.? indicating problems with
    the Flash memory.
    ? Panel will not boot, or gets stuck on "AMX" splash screen.
    ? Other problems also started after downloading to a new panel or a
    panel with a TPD4 file that takes up a considerable amount of the
    available Flash memory.
    Cause:
    ? If the G4 device already contains a large enough file, subsequent
    downloads will take up more space than is available and could often
    corrupt the Flash memory. The demo file that typically ships with G4
    panels is one such file.
    Solution:
    ? DO NOT download TPD4 files (of large size) over the demo pages, or
    any other large TPD4 file.
    ? First download a small blank one page file to the G4 panel using the
    Normal Transfer option to send/download the page. Reboot the
    device, then do your regular file or firmware download

I haven?t used the NXV-300 before but I?d say yes there are limitations although they are not clearly spelled out other than ?of large size.? It sounds like yours may be cooked.

After reading this if I get a new NXV-300 I?m going to get rid of the demo file and replace it with a blank page before I do anything else.

I?m surprised this device doesn?t do a better job of protecting itself especially since it?s shipped with a loaded gun.
    In the least, they should include one of their pretty colored paper warnings with some text that indicates something like: Loading a large file will destroy this device. Please read the manual first!

It would be even better if the device knew better than to commit suicide, but at this point, I'll take what I can get.

Jeff

P.S.
    Thanks for posting that info. I am getting ready to order one of these as a demo (next year so it counts towards demo gear :) )and I am sure I would have fried it upon receiving it.
  • Pretty much all Modero Panels have this issue.

It has been recommended for many years that a Blank page is loaded using a Normal Transfer prior to any project files being loaded for the first time. This has always resulted in a corrupted CF Card, so I would assume the same is true of the NXV300

Every box used to have a warning sheet on the inside, but its been a while since I opened a box fresh...
    Jimweir192 wrote: »
    Pretty much all Modero Panels have this issue.
    I was wondering if that was true after I posted since the NXV-300 is just a headless touch panel but I don?t recall ever reading any warning before about it.
    If this has been a problem all along I question why it hasn?t been resolved.
    There?s got to be a way to protect that from happening.

Thanks for the info.
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    [...]

I?m surprised this device doesn?t do a better job of protecting itself especially since it?s shipped with a loaded gun.

"loaded gun." Isn't that the truth?

I wonder if deleting the user pages would accomplish the same thing as loading a small file/blank page.

What's the purpose of the demo pages anyway? Does anybody even look at them? One of my dogs got sight of a panel with the demo pages loaded and seemed to be fascinated, but he watches golf on TV so what does he know?
    Please post a copy of the version info when you telnet to the unit.

Also, what happens when you try to connect to the unit with a standalone vnc client? Again this needs to be done several minutes after the panel is booted.
  • i will take a screen shot of the telnet session and send it across. Also i still dont think loading a small tp will remove the demo tp, i thot uploading my tp file will remove the existing tp.
    John Paul wrote:
    Also i still dont think loading a small tp will remove the demo tp
    Yes it will, but now it?s too late as it sounds like your flash is corrupt.
    John Paul wrote:
    i thot uploading my tp file will remove the existing tp.
    That will work also; however, you tried to load a ?large? file when there is already a ?large? file (the demo file) loaded which causes the problem described in the manual.
    Reread the bolded text from the manual which I posted earlier.
    That describes your issue exactly.
    You unknowingly shot yourself in the head.
  • Yes i did make a big mistake, i didnt read the manual thinking this was jus like a another touch panel
    John Paul,

I await the screenshot. Also, please let me know what happens with the VNC attempt. Not to argue with more senior posters or the operations manual, but this device does not use the same memory as a panel, it is more like a master. Corruption is a possibility, but I think it's unlikely. I suspect some unknown "something else." At any rate, you didn't do anything wrong. You should have been able to download the large file and have it overwrite the existing file.

Even if the user pages are fubar'd, the setup pages should still be in the panel. That is why I'm curious about your VNC results.

George Smith
    AMX Firmware Engineering
    gsmith wrote:
    Not to argue with more senior posters or the operations manual,
    Senior posters mean diddly squat, an AMX engineer automatically overrides any conjecture from someone like me. :)
    I was just going by what was in the manual.

It would be nice if all AMXers on the forum identified themselves as such.
    You guys are always a welcome read and you definitely carry a lot of weight around here.
    Your insight is of far greater worth than someone who only has experience and/or the manuals to go on.

Thanks for joining in George.

John Paul ? Please ignore everything I said. :)
  • Screen shot here and VNC worked

I was able to VNC the device using tightvnc software. Then i put in all the settings and tried to see it come up on the online tree or in TPD4 but it didnt show. Then i also tried to VNC it again and then it didnt work. So when i checked the actual device, the Max connections red led was lit up.

Anyway i send the device back to clean up the flash. Also i have attached the screen shot
  • John PaulJohn Paul Posts: 143
    I was trying the G4 web control of the touch panels on the iphone using Jaadu VNC and it comes perfect. Now it looks like we dont need the NXV 300
    I didn't see an NXV-300 as the only way to use VNC on a PC/iPhone, I saw it positioned as a device that can be added to give a dedicated device for PCs/iPhones. This would mean that the PC user doesn't have to fight with a touch panel user for control. It is also a more cost effective way to add touch panel control to a job as you are not paying for the expensive glass on a touch panel, only the guts that make it work.

As for Jaadu VNC, we have been setting this up for clients for quite a few months already.

Jeff
    Max TP size for the NXV -300

Does anyone know wat is the maximum size of TPD4 file that can be uploaded to this device. I dont want to go to the route of getting the flash memory corrupted again
    I'm not sure what the limit is but I have a 32 Mbyte file that I used for testing. With the file running the panel shows roughly 20 Mbyes of RAM free which is the main limiting factor. I'd always try to keep the free RAM above 4 Mbytes, so I'd expect you to be able to go up to 48 Mbytes.
    So inorder to use this device. I need to

1. load a blank TPD4 file to remove the demo TPD4 file and keep the flash clean.

2. Then load my TPD4 file, be it any size.

Correct me if i am wrong
    It's simpler to go to the Protected Setup page and hit the Remove Pages button to clear the memory. Then you can upload new pages. To be honest, I'm still not sure this caused your original problem. Existing pages are deleted as part of the page download process. You should be able to install new pages at any time.