Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

CEC Injector

Does anyone know if such a product exists?

Basically what I'm chasing is a device that will allow me to inject consumer electronics control (aka BraviaSync, SimpLink, EZ Link, etc) into a system of locally connected HDMI devices either via IP or RS-232, and ideally provide two way communication from the CEC bus.

Comments

• Hi Kim

I've been experimenting with a device that claims to do this. It works well, but most of the protocols aren't published - and each manufacturer is different slightly!!! I'm dashing out the door, but will post more details later.
  • bcirrisibcirrisi Posts: 148
    C*tron Digital Media does it, and it works great... they even have a PS3 protocol. Jimweir192, who makes the one you have been playing with?
  • nickmnickm Posts: 152
    I've been curious about this myself. After some extensive Google-ing a few months ago, I found this: http://rainshadowtech.com/default_files/HDMICECUSB.htm

Unforunately, I haven't had the time to order one to test. Hopefully I will be able to get one in my hands soon.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    @Jimweir192
    Sounds like you may be the man to talk to. If you've got any more info i'm all ears.

@bcirrisi
    Is the C*tron device a comms proxy or a direct pass through to the CEC bus? If it's a passthrough you wouldn't be able to point me in the direction of the PS3 protocol you've got as I'm trying to implement this with sony equipment.

@nickm
    Cheers for the link, looks like a promising device. I've got to run but that HDMI spec and CEC protocol it links to looks promising as well.
  • Hi Kim

The unit I have is the Rainshadow unit - although an earlier model, when it was USB only, but James@ rainshadow, modified this to take advantage of the unused serial port on the PCB.

The unit is not self-aware, so cannot detect it's place in a HDMI chain, but I was mainly looking for an immediate solution to control TV / Displays via CEC as many screens no longer have 232 ports. For this it works great, but obviously it is a fair way of being a fully viable commercial product, but James is making good progress towards this.

The documentation is excellent, the limitation being James' ability to obtain CEC hardware to test against in different configurations.

I would expect serious manufacturers to be following Cre*stron into this arena soon, hopefully the new Autopatch HDMI range will offer something on CEC in the future???
  • bcirrisibcirrisi Posts: 148
    Sorry, I don't think I can post any of the details that C*&*# is doing because of my dealer agreement. But their website has a wealth of information about the subject.
  • jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    PhreaK wrote: »
    @bcirrisi
    Is the C*tron device a comms proxy or a direct pass through to the CEC bus? If it's a passthrough you wouldn't be able to point me in the direction of the PS3 protocol you've got as I'm trying to implement this with sony equipment.

Cre$tron doesn't have a standalone injector, the functionality is built into their DigitalMedia HDMI switchers.
    Just in case anyone else happens to browse this thread in search of CEC info, the full comms protocol can be found in supplement 1 of the HDMI v1.3a spec.

Unfortunately as this is just for my own place its extrememly low priority but when I end up getting round to getting my hands on one of the RainShadow devices I'll post back with the results.

Cheers for the help.
  • PhreaK wrote: »
    Just in case anyone else happens to browse this thread in search of CEC info, the full comms protocol can be found in supplement 1 of the HDMI v1.3a spec.

Kim,

I think ur url link is not proper. So basically what i understood from this post is that AMX right now doesnt have direct control thro CEC but via HDMI-CEC to TCP/IP Bridge.
    ajish.raju wrote: »
    Kim,

I think ur url link is not proper. So basically what i understood from this post is that AMX right now doesnt have direct control thro CEC but via HDMI-CEC to TCP/IP Bridge.

That's correct, AMX do not currently manufacture a device that can inject or extract CEC from HDMI. As mentioned though there are other devices available that can act as an interface between your control system and CEC bus.

Looks as though that document has been moved / removed - here's a copy at another location: http://www.evernew.com.tw/HDMISpecification13a.pdf
  • Like Rainshadow, how many other different types of manufacturers are there. I think this company is also into the field but i am not able to get any response from them

http://www.promwad.com/markets/pcb-hdmi-control-ethernet-bridge.html