Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

AMX IRC

I a while back that it would be great to have an AMX Chat, and also that the one here is closed. So I thought it'd be nice to have an IRC channel where we can chat about AMX-related topics, and other silly things. It would be so much easier to get an answer quickly.

I created a channel #amx on irc.irchighway.net if anyone's interested.

For anyone who doesn't have an IRC client, you can use this: http://mibbit.com/chat/

connect to irc.irchighway.net and then just type /join #amx
Then you'll be in.

Also if you're looking for a good client. Colloguy is really good for mac (I use it) and mIRC is good for windows (also use it). Else just use mibbit.

Kudos,
~Nerieru

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    The only way you will get an answer quicker is if someone is online that knows the answer. In my humble opinion, if you need an answer that quickly, call tech support. The nice thing about the forum is that once you post the message, everyone on the forums has the ability to see the message whenever they have time to visit. In chat, if you are not present, you don't see the conversation. If you jump into the middle of a conversation, you have no way to see what has been discussed and are likely to slow things down with redundant suggestions/questions.

That being said, chats are a good way to socialize with others, or if you want to gripe and complain :)

Jeff
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Another thing about IRC type chats. (we've tried them a few times before) is that this board has members all over the world who are working in differnt time zones.

But I agree. I sit on IRC almost all day chatting with some of my musician friends.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    ericmedley wrote: »
    Another thing about IRC type chats. (we've tried them a few times before) is that this board has members all over the world who are working in differnt time zones.

But I agree. I sit on IRC almost all day chatting with some of my musician friends.

I'm the same, and it would be great to chat with fellow AMX programmers as well. So join in. (I run a group with people from all over the world as well, ranging from east to west, north to south and vice versa) And you either see some of them in the morning and others during the day, and some during the evening/night.

But it's still a great thing to do. I'll be there so feel free to join.
    Spire_Jeff wrote:
    The only way you will get an answer quicker is if someone is online that knows the answer. In my humble opinion, if you need an answer that quickly, call tech support. The nice thing about the forum is that once you post the message, everyone on the forums has the ability to see the message whenever they have time to visit. In chat, if you are not present, you don't see the conversation. If you jump into the middle of a conversation, you have no way to see what has been discussed and are likely to slow things down with redundant suggestions/questions.

That being said, chats are a good way to socialize with others, or if you want to gripe and complain

Jeff

I completely disagree, if there are a lot of people online you will get waaaaaaay more suggestions than via tech support, as there are way more minds thinking. You're simply assuming no one will be there, well let's just hope you're the only one that assumes that. Also if you've used IRC you know that you can simply scroll up to see what's been discussed. Also it'll leave topics open for discussion that you'd normally have to think about yourself. Apart from that you can also learn by solving others' questions as well as the other way around. (not to mention the people learning from you).

I especially don't see the harm in it, so I don't see a reason not to join.

On that note I saw 2 people connecting yesterday and leaving 2 minutes after they joined. Come back you guys! :(
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I don't do IRC for the same reason I won't do instant messaging ... I can't resist the urge to answer every question and respond to every issue I am capable of answering. It winds up too intrusive on my time and productivity. I can start a forum response, take a call, consult with a coworker, and run a compile, and still come back to my post. Can't do that with any of the "live" services.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    Well I'm there anyway, so it would be great if people joined. I saw Jeff enter and he said a few things. and 3 others, rest didn't even bother. So I guess it is a failure, but I'm there so if anyone wants to come in, feel free to. No need to knock.