Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

AMX Amps?

I have to design a new proposal and typically I spec 18x18's AP/DSP and B&K 1260 amps. Since we have this new push and requirement to sell 30% target products in conjunction with the fact that the more you sell the less expensive it gets and the more perks you get which ultimately also results in cost savings, I figured ok, what else could I spec instead of B&K.

So I know AMX has the Carbon XA amps & the Tango amps although I've never researched them. Turns out these are strickly used for the expansion of the Tango or MI zones. Wouldn't you think if you owned a company that made amps you would create a line that could be used with AP products or as a stand alone amp. I would think that to be the logical 1st step after getting into the amplifier market and make an amp that could be used with the product most of us are likely to use. I could only imagine that the majority of us use AP or matrix switcher type products over any Tango or MI type product. I used one in a situation where they only had volume controls so the SWT proved a good option instead of snaking wires but that was it.

Guess I stick w/ B&K.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    we've run into this dilema as well. It seems we have similar lines.

We are not big fans of the Matrix / Tango stuff. While there is a pretty good price differential, we've run into so many technical problems with them our designers are pretty sworn off them.

On the other hand we really like the AMX/Presis 18X18 with the Rotel Digital amps. The amps are small (1U) and give off almost no heat. The Presis is a pretty solid piece of gear and has a wide variety of features that work well with us as we quite often send TV audio down a Whole-house music zone as well. Being able to adjust the EQ and pre gain is very nice for those pesky cable boxes and/or DirecTV boxes that have wacky output gains.

There's kind of a water level we hit where we go from smaller a/v switch like the Elan or something like it up to the Presis.

I have no preference either way really from a programming point of view. Either is pretty easy. However, I'm not a fan of the Tango/matrix because they are crushingly slow. I find when we use them that client has to get used to how long it takes for them to come up to volume from being off or unmuting. If they're button pounders, it's almost a losing battle.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Yeah I'm a big Precis w/ DSP fan too I just don't get why they haven't made basic stand alone 12x60 (or similar) amps for them since they own a company that makes amps now. I don't see Tango or MI really selling that well or a valuable addition to everything else AMX offers. Now if they had a good selection of basic amps at least that would have possibilities in most systems designs that the majority of us do. Of course it would have to be comprable in quality & cost to B&K, Niles, Sonance, SpeakerCratft, Elan, your Rotels, etc. Otherwise I see the acquisition of MA as being ill-conceived.
  • I agree. It can't be that hard to make the expansion amps into stand alone models. And if AMX is going to require us to see X amount of other gear than we have to be able to sell it. Why make and amp that is only available for zone expansion? Make it so that it can be stand alone or a zone expander.
  • I agree here as well. We used to use the old AMX AMP8, which even after 10 years still perform well. Since AMX discountinued the AMP8, we've been using Sonance amps to match the Precis line. We would also sell AMX amps if they have a decent stand alone product.
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    Need to be right

We use the ADA 1645 amps for multiroom and they are really good. An AMX amp would have to sound as good, not just be a qualifying product. We also use the Precis and Optoma signal management products and they are fantastic.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I agree here as well. We used to use the old AMX AMP8, which even after 10 years still perform well. Since AMX discountinued the AMP8, we've been using Sonance amps to match the Precis line. We would also sell AMX amps if they have a decent stand alone product.

Oooh, I loved those amps! They actually sounded quite good. I also loved their audio swtich. It worked great.