Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Mixer/amp application?

Can a vol3 be used as a mixer for a standard amplifier with mic? I want to use a microphone in a classroom application, but then be able to overlay the mic audio over any background audio that will be controlled via a vol3. I wanted to do this in order to adjust both volume levels.

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    vegastech wrote: »
    Can a vol3 be used as a mixer for a standard amplifier with mic? I want to use a microphone in a classroom application, but then be able to overlay the mic audio over any background audio that will be controlled via a vol3. I wanted to do this in order to adjust both volume levels.

the technical answer is no. (You'd have to build your own mix buss, which can be done. but it's actually better to just get an inexpensive mixer for classroom applications.)

One I've used before with great results is the Alesis R12 rack mount mixer. It's very clean sounding and is relatively cheap. ($299 or so.)
  • vegastechvegastech Posts: 369
    with the mixer going into the system, how would I then adjust the mic level independently of the background audio, using a touchscreen or keypad. Or could I?
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    vegastech wrote: »
    with the mixer going into the system, how would I then adjust the mic level independently of the background audio, using a touchscreen or keypad. Or could I?

If you mixer has an insert on the channel you could put it there.

It'd go like this.

Mic -> Mic input on mixer -> send from channel -> vol box input -> vol box output -> insert receive on mixer ->

This would only be a tweak per se. You wouldn't want this to be a 'zero' to 'max volume' type volume control.

If you're wanting that, you'd be better served by converting the mic level to line level ( a mic preamp) and then running the output of that through the volume box, then to the mixer.

If you microphone is at mic level (most are) you don't want to run that straight into the volume box. You're levels and impedances are not matched up and you'll get a lot of noise or there won't be any gain.

PM me if you want some product recommendations. I don't sell anything but will shoot you in a direction of some good sources.

e
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Although it would not be a proper use of the VOL3, there is no reason you can't do this. It would probably be a simpler, more reliable setup than talking with a non-native AMX device, especially from a levels perspective.

Two technical issues:

1. You would have to preamplify the mic as the VOL3 works with line level signals only.

2. You should sum the individual outputs of the VOL3 through resistors. The low output impedances of the output channels would tend to load each other down if you just tied them all together.