Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

RF id and asset tracking

Hey All,

I'm looking to put together a system design for RF based asset tracking, preferably integratable with RMS. As it stands we manage hundreds of AV spaces and by consequence have an order of magnitude more than that in equipment/components around the place. As it is we dont currently have a bullet proof, upto date inventory of everything, or much of a clue if something goes missing or is relocated to another space/building/galaxy!

Having spoken to AMX and learnt more about the Anterus gear, drawn it out and weighed it up, it is a great solution but not quite spot or every situation. The zigbee base station rocks in the function and integration sense but in certain circumstances the RF cards are to big and impractical for embedding into or onto components (e.g. microphones, document cameras etc).

I guess my query is, can other RF tags be used instead in situations were the ANT-TAG devices are too big and still be integrated into an Anterus RF network?

Cheers
Ben

Comments

• Options
    jweatherjweather Posts: 320
    The tags are active 433.92 MHz. If you can find another tag with the same specs, it *should* work. AMX tech support would be better equipped to answer that question. I doubt you're going to find any that are much smaller, though. The small ones are generally passive (ie, no battery) and much shorter range (like a keyfob), not suitable for locating an item in a room.

Here are some active 433.92 tags from a quick google: http://www.tunitytech.com/OP_ACTIVE_433.html
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Maybe a passive tags could be used... Put passive tags on the mics, document cams, whatever and put a compatible passive reader in the vicinity of the normal storage place for the devices. You might not be able to track where exactly the device is located, but you will be able to track the last known location and if the device is currently in the storage position. You could generate a report if the device is not properly stored within x number of days/hours.
    You could also use a passive reader at the building exits to alert when the device is on the move. I was seeing that there are passive readers that will read up to 12ft away.... just a matter of cost at that point :)

Jeff
  • Options
    benokibenoki Posts: 8
    Passive tags might do the trick but it would depend on the physical layout of the space.. e.g. if there is a single lecture bench/surface then it would be unlikely that a mic/doc cam would be moved somewhere else which would mean it might be feasible to locate the reader within the bench itself and create a fairly sure fire target area for detection..

Hmm needs more thought...

I'll definitely get on to the AMX techs about generic non AMX tags though!