Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Opera Web Browser

Has anyone here heard of anyone using the Opera Web browser on an AMX Touch Panel? It seems to me that since the AMX panels are running a flavor of Linux they should be able to run the Linux version of Opera.

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    sponger02 wrote: »
    Has anyone here heard of anyone using the Opera Web browser on an AMX Touch Panel? It seems to me that since the AMX panels are running a flavor of Linux they should be able to run the Linux version of Opera.

There's a whole host of reason but the short answer is 'no web browsing on a TP."
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Best you can do is VNC (Computer Control) to a computer running a browser. I've done it, and it is well less than optimal. For one thing, it's pretty slow. For another, it's really difficult to click the CC window in precisely the correct spot with your finger on a touch panel. That much you could probably improve with one of the docking stations that let you attach a mouse. Third, some panel resolutions/palettes don't display the computer properly. I have an 8400 pulling up a computer screen that's all red-tinged ... the same screen on a TPI in the same house is perfect. I presume it's because the panel color depth is less than the computer screen.
  • Options
    iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    Resolution

There's another good reason not to use a TP to browse the web. Most web designers have looked at the stats and abandoned 800px wide sites. Mobile viewing is different but appearing to a website as an 800px desktop browser might just elicit some sympathy and a nice cup of tea...and a horrible browsing experience.

Different matter of course if you're looking to browse pages served up by your own server. If not, I'd say forget it, it's what laptops, netbooks and iPads are for.
  • Options
    DraugarDraugar Posts: 27
    Also remember that the panels are not running on x86 architecture, but as far I know, they use an ARM-based processor. Allthough Opera's browser for ARM-based devices could work, it still need implementation by the linux operating system that is running on the panel. I'd guess this is not something you can do yourself anyways.