Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Video Overlay Menu-ing Thingy...

Centralized media distribution certainly has it's pros and cons. A big con is the single point of failure problem...one piece of failed hardware and no one watches TV, of course there are work-arounds to this. But there are advantages as well, especially in large houses where there are a lot of nook-and-cranny displays, but not many people.

The cool thing would be the capability to overlay a menu on a display to select a source so that each location could be operated with an IR remote. I haven't used the TPI, so I'm not sure if it could be used to generate a display, but I don't think that could overlay but would have to be switched as the current input.

Any thoughts, ideas, etc...

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I think the way to do this on a TPI would be to make the background of your page the video window, then use a transparent background popup for your controls. That would assume, though, that your TPI monitor is the primary display, and my experiences with them would prevent me from doing it that way. They simply don't pass video at the same quality level as if you were connected directly to the source. I wouldn't use one as anything more than a preview device, or a shared computer monitor/panel.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    sonny wrote: »
    Centralized media distribution certainly has it's pros and cons. A big con is the single point of failure problem...one piece of failed hardware and no one watches TV, of course there are work-arounds to this. But there are advantages as well, especially in large houses where there are a lot of nook-and-cranny displays, but not many people.

The cool thing would be the capability to overlay a menu on a display to select a source so that each location could be operated with an IR remote. I haven't used the TPI, so I'm not sure if it could be used to generate a display, but I don't think that could overlay but would have to be switched as the current input.

Any thoughts, ideas, etc...

We do this kind of thing a lot in bathrooms. We'll put an inwall TP and feed video to the unit. When the client wants to watch tv the screen becomes the display. I make an overlay with the various controls that can be brought up by touching the screen. As Dave says, the image quaility is not the best. But for a bathroom it's fine.

A system similar to the Savant OSD would be nice. It accomplishes it by mixing HDMI and looks great. But, the ability to do an AMX style intervace would even be better.
  • sonnysonny Posts: 208
    It would almost have to be part of the switcher / processor and not be disruptive to the original content. All types of cool messaging / alerts could be done though, not just menus.