Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Sony VPL-EX4 pwr issue

I have a Sony VPL-EX4 projector and a Sony VPL-EX3 projector in the same room.
It appears that they use the same protocol except the EX3 uses 9600 N 8 1 while the EX4 uses 9600 E 8 1.
The problem I am having is that I can not reliably turn the EX4 on. Everything else seems fine.
The really odd thing is that I can sometimes turn it on. I thought it was something along the lines of the power on issue like the Sharp TVs. But I have looked all over the menus and I see nothing regarding the EnergyStar.

Any ideas?

Comments

• AuserAuser Posts: 506
    Kenny wrote: »
    Any ideas?

Have you tried polling it continuously?

ie.
    do_while (<CurrentPowerState> <> <RequestedPowerState>)
    {
      send_string <RequestedPowerStateCommand>
      send_string <PowerStateRequest>
    }

• KennyKenny Posts: 209
    Yes, I have tried polling it. At one point it was off for 20 minutes and I could not turn it on but an hour later I could. I found one comment saying that I need to send PWR On twice which seemed to increase the chances of being able to turn it on. I even started spacing the commands out to see if that helped.
    I did notice that if the PWR button flashed after sending the first power command then the second command would turn the projector on.
    I guess the good thing is that the client only has one and it isn't used much.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    I have been known to resort to IR control of projectors when dealing with the occasional horror device but wouldn't expect to have to with a Sony - it may be an option though.

Other than that I can only suggest that you try hooking the projector directly to the NetLinx via a short length of cable to see if the cable is a factor.
  • KennyKenny Posts: 209
    I'm fairly confident that the cable it good. Every other command is rock solid.
    So far it appears that it works the first time every day. So if the customer only uses it once a day they will not know that a problem exists. :)
    The dealer has a call into Sony to see what they can do.