Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

View Device Details while Debugging (Channel, Level, etc)

Hi Everybody!

AMX was recently added to my list of duties and I haven't been able to find any documentation on a specific debugging tool that I'd like to use. I have duet modules that, like most duet that I've run across, update channels based on their status. I'd like to be able to view all of those channel states while debugging without having to add code so speed things up a bit. Does anyone know if/how to do this?

Everything that I've read on these forums have been amazingly helpful, so thank you!

-Mitch

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    mlschuh wrote: »
    Hi Everybody!

AMX was recently added to my list of duties and I haven't been able to find any documentation on a specific debugging tool that I'd like to use. I have duet modules that, like most duet that I've run across, update channels based on their status. I'd like to be able to view all of those channel states while debugging without having to add code so speed things up a bit. Does anyone know if/how to do this?

Everything that I've read on these forums have been amazingly helpful, so thank you!

-Mitch

About the closest thing you're going to find will be to use the diagnostics in Netlinx Studio

go to the Diagnostics menu > Netlinx Device Notification Options and set up the device(s) you wish to watch. Once you've defined them, activate the watch and any buttons,channels, levels, strings and commands to and from the devices on the list will show up in the watch window with date/time stamps and state values etc...

Some pitfalls to be careful of: if looking at strings, a hex $00 will terminate the display of the straing in the window. This is a frustrating problem and it has not been addressed in some time.

Also, the more things you watch, the slower the master gets. I've also found that trying to watch too many devices can lock up NS.
  • Ahhh, that's what I was afraid of. I've been through most of the Programming 1 training (had to rescue a jobsite before I could complete my ACE) and was informed of those debuging tools. I guess it was just hopeful thinking having the idea that I would be able to look at a giant chart of everything.

-Mitch
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Ahhh, that's what I was afraid of. I've been through most of the Programming 1 training (had to rescue a jobsite before I could complete my ACE) and was informed of those debuging tools. I guess it was just hopeful thinking having the idea that I would be able to look at a giant chart of everything.

-Mitch

Well, user interface aside, all the information you need is there. It may not be pretty but it works.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    ericmedley wrote: »
    go to the Diagnostics menu > Netlinx Device Notification Options and set up the device(s) you wish to watch.....

Some pitfalls to be careful of: if looking at strings, a hex $00 will terminate the display of the straing in the window. This is a frustrating problem and it has not been addressed in some time.
    The Diagnostics window lops of the output when it encounters a $00 but Device Notifications does not have the $00 issue.
    Watching strings with Notifications works perfectly fine and always has as far back as I can remember. I use it all the time without issue.
  • I find all of the diagnostics built into Netlinx to be handy but was really looking for a quick and dirty way to check the 'online' channel of modules that I have used in the past (now I use indicators and variables in place). I do like the customizability of the Device Notifications but you must be viewing the proper device when a change happens in order to see it.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    I have duet modules that, like most duet that I've run across, update channels based on their status. I'd like to be able to view all of those channel states while debugging without having to add code so speed things up a bit. Does anyone know if/how to do this?
    I find all of the diagnostics built into Netlinx to be handy but was really looking for a quick and dirty way to check the 'online' channel of modules that I have used in the past (now I use indicators and variables in place). I do like the customizability of the Device Notifications but you must be viewing the proper device when a change happens in order to see it.
    Right click the Online Tree and select Refresh System (or Refresh Network if need be.)
    Click the + sign next to the virtual device you want to query.
    Right click on the port you want and select 'Check port status' to get a current snapshot of the Feedback channels, Input channels, and Output channels.

Is that what you are looking for?