Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

MVP-5200i changing device number

Hello,

Will someone please give me any clues why my 5200i seems to be changing itself every couple of downloads to 32002 or 32003 when it was 32001. I am connected, I download a couple times and then all of a sudden it doesn't send for some reason and it's device number is changed.

Is there any explanation for this? I'm not all that good with this stuff yet and It's kinda frustrating.

Thank you,

Ryan

P.S. It's not random... Everytime I change the device number in Define Devices, compile and send to the NI-2100, it changes the device ID on the touch panel. I have the protected setup open and I can watch it change.

Please help me before it becomes a really expensive target.

Comments

• ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    Same issue as this thread:

http://amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=6619
  • Thank you.

Set the touch panels device ID to 10001, etc and out of the 32000's.

Then it works just fine.

Thank you.

Ryan
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I thought the 32000+ range were for dynamic devices anyway - why would you set it that high? This is one of the very first things taught . . . if not, it should be.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    jjames wrote: »
    I thought the 32000+ range were for dynamic devices anyway - why would you set it that high? This is one of the very first things taught . . . if not, it should be.

It is, and it wasn't set to that. They come out of the box to set automatically to that range, and precisely because a proper address wasn't set, it jumps around the range depending what else is active.

You are supposed to use this feature to find your panels as they come online and set a proper address once they do. It's a nice feature; you don't have to physically run around the site setting addresses, you can do it right in NS. You also never need worry about crashing a system because two new panels came up with the same address out of the box ... which is how it has always been before with them all defaulting to 10001.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    I agree that this new way is much better. In the past I'd invariably end up with a couple panels with the same ID and have to scratch my head as to why things were not working.

While apparently this new way is a bit confusing (I think there are 3 threads asking what is up) I think after a while people will get used to it.

"Change is good. You go first."