Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

Merging Landmark with Netlink

Has anyone kept using Landmark but merged certain Netlink aspects, features, hardware?

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've upgraded a few Landmark projects to NetLinx, keping as much of the old hardware as I could but yanking the MCU. This works great for things like the AS8/16, and not so great for things like DMS keypads (they can seriously bog down your notification que if they update too much, even take the processor down). For me, what it boils down to is using the NetLinx processor and UI devices, and keeping the rest of the hardware Landmark. There is no real diference between touch panels. A DMS keypad looks fancier and has superior feeback, but if I'm going to do a keypad, I'd rather use an MSP. They are more responsive and less quirky. Sometimes you just don't have a choice though, and have to sell your upgrades in increments.

The programming to switch processors like that can be a bit daunting for some items; Landmark simplified a lot of things that you have to code yourself with NetLinx. But I'm a code person - I'd rather do that and be able to fine tune every line of it rather than click, drag, drop, cut and paste until my eyes bleed :).