Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

New TP firmware

Anyone checked out the latest touch panel firmware?
Looks like there have been a lot changes.
10+ new commands for reading the status of various settings.
Numerous features added/changed in the wireless section.
Check it out.

Kenny

Comments

• annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    I'm rolling it out at the moment. We've been having some issues (with previous versions) where the TPs drop offline during an update to the network config, and fail to come back online. As best as I can see, the new version(s) seem to be more robust with reacquiring an address, which will hopefully solve my issue.

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University.
  • annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    annuello wrote: »
    I'm rolling it out at the moment. We've been having some issues (with previous versions) where the TPs drop offline during an update to the network config, and fail to come back online. As best as I can see, the new version(s) seem to be more robust with reacquiring an address, which will hopefully solve my issue.

The new touch panel firmware (v2.86.24) seems rather stable. I've had at least 10 700vi and CV7 panels easily survive and recover from a power outage or two. The flashing green light on bootup is a nice confidence feature, letting you know that the panel is actually doing something. The "Firmware update in progress" notice is also excellent. Good work AMX!

Our network-config issue still exists. In short, the issue occurs when network config changes result in OSI layer 1 (electrical/physical) stays on, but layers 2 - 7 are interrupted while the router/switcher config changes are applied. The touch panel dumps its IP address and does not successfully re-request one from the DHCP server. It seems that the touch panels are not issuing a T1 request half way through the lease, as per http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2131#section-4.4.5. Our DHCP leases are 3 days, but the touch panels remain offline for more than 48 hours. From what I can see, they should be issuing a "renewing" request after 36 hours.

To get the touch panels online again I can "simply" unplug the network lead for 5 seconds and plug it back in. The touch panel will then pick up an IP address and reconnect to its masters after approx 20 seconds. This shows that the touch panels are not locking up, but it is only re-requesting a DHCP address when the physical link changes from the "down" to "up" state or at the end of the DHCP lease (T2).

It seems that the new DHCP changes which "continuously try to pull an IP address from the DHCP server" may be based on monitoring of layer 1 (physical) changes rather than layer 2 or higher. It would be nice if this monitoring was triggered when panel does not have a valid IP address, rather than the change of physical layer state.

I know this is not the place to submit bug reports - I'll submit an official one to AMX. I just thought others may find this useful, especially if they (or their customers) are in an enterprise network environment where network maintenance occurs in a similar manner.

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University