Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

iRidium

I just got a license of iRidium for my iPhone. Going to start working with it soon.

It would appear that iRidium scales a TP4 file to the resolution of the iPhone. Is there a way to create a TP4 file at a custom resolution, not to require scaling?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    As far as custom res, you can review a previous post making reference to edit ppf.xml.
    http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?p=44880#post44880
    Some results are shown here
    http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?t=6537 Post 3 onwards.

I have received an iRidium license myself, however for the Windows emulation. I can say that I like it and it pretty much does the job, with a few snags I have noticed so far, probably already under attendance.
    - no popup groupping
    - no page flipping / popup triggering commands (although claimed)
    - no chameleon image (although claimed)
    - some text alignment issues within buttons or leading spaces discarded.

It feels like it's almost there and I am quite looking forward to their upcoming versions.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Well I installed a converted MVP-8400 file into the iRidium ap on my iPhone.

The buttons do not respond to touch and the iPhone reboots after about 20 seconds of having the ap open, :(
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    New version due out soon.

It seems that there is a new version of iRidium due out soon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT6i7ob4Cjo) that claims to support all of the AMX standards and also adds scrolling lists that work like native iPod/iPad lists. It is also only $160 for iPod and $200 for iPad. I am wondering what the official AMX stance is on this product. It seems that if this works as well as they claim, it is serious competition for the TPControl solution.

It also seems that they are working on a version 2.0 that adds 3D effects to the mix as well...

Jeff
  • Options
    I am using the current version on my iPhone 3G. It works well. I edited the ppf.xml file to create a native 320x480 panel type to prevent artifacting from scaling.
  • Options
    There are some issues with fonts.

I like to use tahoma. I send a "$B0" to display the degrees symbol for HVAC stuff. Sending the $B0 makes the variable text disppear.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Anyone else having problems downloading the Beta version? I get to 1.3mb and it says it's done. Once, I got to ~2mb. It is supposed to be 7mb.

Jeff
  • Options
    KrobarKrobar Posts: 32
    Does Iridium support VNC client? (I forget what AMX call it)
  • Options
    iRidium

I have also downloaded the PC software and App to ipod touch but am having problems getting it to work correctly. So far customer support seems good, I just need the time to tinker with this setup.
    Is anyone here fairly familiar with iRidiumHD and the setup process?
    Thanks,
    Eric
  • Options
    MknMkn Posts: 11
    Vlad

What kind of problem do you have?
    I use this software and the last version (1.5 - in testing) is very good.
  • Options
    I had it working somewhat last week. Since then I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7, downloaded all iRidium software, but now I get ERROR IRR wrong version" when I open the App on ipod touch.
    Eric
  • Options
    Sorry, I did not check the forum, a little bit busy the last time. This message shows that you have different version Wizard and iPhone application. just check what version is installed on iPhone (Settings, iRidiumHD), current version avaible for download from Apple store is 1.4.3, then go to the website and download the software (full set with Wizard) with the same version.
  • Options
    New version 1.5

Iridium mobile released a new version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYMUQAzTmuU
  • Options
    The new version addresses all of the issues that I had found in previous releases.

On my iPhone 3G, iRidium response to button presses and display of feedback changes is much faster than TPControl.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    That YouTube video gives it the appearance that it is every bit as good as the TPC solution and the version change log makes it appear they are matching TPC step by step. Now support for ^RFR, ^RMF just like TPC recent fixes. I think I even saw Unicode support and I don't think TPC has fix for that yet but by now, maybe they do.

At 1/4th the cost this looks to be a serious contender and could probably open the door to AMX hardware sales (masters, ap switchers) that otherwise would be closed due to the prohibitive cost of standard TPs and even the TPC app. Granted selling TPs and the TPC app does benefit AMX which is a good thing but not selling TPs, the TPC app or any AMX hardware benefits no one unless we're selling some other gear instead in which case we benefit as does the company selling the gear we install.

Is Iridium handing out free apps to dealers? Or just trial versions?
  • Options
    I would advise to contact them. I have received all the support in both test licenses as well as feature requests or improvements. Indeed, with the risk of repeating many of the abovementioned, it looks like being on the right track and succeeds in competing from the same quality level with any similar solution.
  • Options
    According to the website, dealer demo licenses are available. I've got the software and app, I'll test it out when the license comes in, side by side with TPC. I'll see how they compare.

Kevin D.
  • Options
    VasiliyVasiliy Posts: 13
    Lists right from TP4
    shr00m-dew wrote: »
    According to the website, dealer demo licenses are available. I've got the software and app, I'll test it out when the license comes in, side by side with TPC. I'll see how they compare.

Kevin D.

I've got an iRidium license to evaluate and compare it a day ago.
    The first impression it is great and the most amazing difference is Lists. They will be very useful for my installations. All my clients like this feature of iDevices.

Also I noticed that I can create and setup the lists right into the TP4 Editor with iRidium.
  • Options
    I found one major issue with iRidium (as opposed to TPC) and that is the time it takes to load the app/gui.
    For my converted TPD4 file, which is medium sized, it takes about 20 seconds from selecting the app to a usable state whereas TPC takes about 4 seconds with the same file. In installed and tested both apps on an iPad with the latest firmware.

If they can fix that than TPC has some serious competition.

Other than the load time the app works great.
  • Options
    Yes, there is a longer time for loading application and they are going to fix it next release (v2.0), but this problem only for old devices (without multitasking). On new devices (above 3G, with multitasking) there is not this problem, it is only time for WIFI reconnection.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It seems to me Iridium is geared more towards iPhone ... I just installed the app on an iPad, and the demo looks awful scaled to 1024x768. I can easily see using it on an iPhone, but not the pad at this time. TPControl seems to me to have a bit more flexibility.
  • Options
    ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    Iridium has two different applications. The normal one, and HD. Use the HD for the iPad. I don't believe their demo file is made for 1024x768. But if you upload a touch panel file onto it using a 1024x768 size, it is pixel accurate and doesn't scale. If you put a smaller file on, it will scale up if you have the setting enabled to do that, otherwise it will just show up smaller just like ipod apps on an ipad.

I have had Iridium on an install since before TPC was released. I have never had any issues with it and it has always been dependable. If you leave the setting on the ipad enabled to check for downloading of a new TP file, then it will take longer. Forget the exact name and I left my ipad at home. Typically I have never noticed it taking more then 5-10 seconds to get to a stable state.

It is priced very reasonably especially for everything it does. I am really looking forward to integrating lists since AMX panels haven't ever been able to do it. Their people are very nice and they actually will answer emails for support.

The free license they give us is a full version. It can work with any of their supported control systems available. When you purchase a license for a device, you purchase the version you need, such as an iPad or iPod to work with the control system you are using.
  • Options
    Mkn wrote: »
    Yes, there is a longer time for loading application and they are going to fix it next release (v2.0), but this problem only for old devices (without multitasking). On new devices (above 3G, with multitasking) there is not this problem, it is only time for WIFI reconnection.

Hey Vlad :)

-G
  • Options
    I have finished my first 2 projects with iRidium. It works just perfect. My clients are very satisfied.
    Now I just need more wide graphical possibilities to answer to my clients requirements. And I'm looking forward to the next iRidium version 2.0 with support of Open GL Technology. As I understood from iRidium support team it will bring a lots of unique graphical features that's never appeared in automation market. Hope to have it ASAP.
  • Options
    iOS 4.2 for iPad is the key

Reading these comments, I'd like to add that I've been using the iPad (HD) version of iRidium under iOS 4.2 and it is working great so far. There is no startup time to speak of, since the app is still running (hence, the reference to iOS 4.2).

FYI: I'm working on a project where the owner would like to have no proprietary panels, including thermostats and A/V wall plates. So far, this looks very promising.

When can we have voice control?!!

Cheers,
    Ron
  • Options
    Has anyone heard from iRidium lately? I'm starting to get worried.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    At least with TPC you won't have that issue since AMX has unofficially comeout of the closet. Or is it official? Hmmm... Maybe this was the part related to "don't ask, don't tell", not the other thread on power supplies and warranty.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    The Iridium guys stopped by to see us at the ISE show in Amsterdam at the beginning of February asking me to give them a try... which I will when I get a chance. We talked about the problems that prevented our use when last we tried, and they assured me it has come a long way since then. The things it does above and beyond an AMX panel are interesting but not likely of use to us, because we don't presently want features that are substantially different on one UI compared to another.

Anyway, they are still going as of a few weeks ago, and I've heard nothing to indicate there's any problem in the company. I know AMX remains unamused at the unauthorized patching of the AMX tools.
  • Options
    Iridium is still very active, if anything it is even better than before.

The new 2.0 version will be available soon, and this will bring a huge number of improvements.

Development is going into making graphical interfaces not dependent on legacy TP4 files, allowing real flexibility in GUI design.

The latest transfer program makes loading and updating even easier and faster, and that is available now.

The product has now been around for 2 1/2 years and is now very mature and stable with a distributor network in place for local support.
    I know AMX remains unamused at the unauthorized patching of the AMX tools.

There is no need to patch any AMX tool or software for this to work. AMX has native resolutions for 1024x768 and 480x320 within TP4 if you want to reuse existing designs, but really to make full use of the more powerful Apple GUI, you need to design for the interface your customers will use.
  • Options
    RajRaiRajRai Posts: 5
    setup port functions

I notice with Iridium it doesn't support any of the setup functions especially time and date which is kind of a drag.
  • Options
    They are working on these, I know that keypad and keyboard commands are in the next version.
    Speaking about date and time commands, anyone knows how make time synchronization between panel and controller? Controller support time synchronization through internet, but how will be possable to send correct time to the panel?