Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Real or Ultra VNC

Hi everyone
Just a FYI that we found when using Windows 7 and VNC. For whatever reason some rooms would not display the panel when using real VNC but would always work when using Ultra VNC. Real works perfect for Windows XP.

Comments

• truetrue Posts: 307
    RealVNC is an antique. Even before they went closed with version 4, they did very little to enhance version 3.

UltraVNC, TightVNC, anythingelseVNC
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I've been using RealVNC for the past 5 years without issue and am currently running Win7 x64 without any problems.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Just about everyone I know in AMX circles and outside uses RealVNC. It has worked perfectly for me across all Windows OSs.
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Might be a config issue on the Wins 7 but there is an issue for sure. Odd thing is it only happens to some rooms and not others.
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    A commercial client of mine deployed win7 enterprise and had major issues with RealVNC, connections refused, dropped etc, moved to UltraVNC and all issues went away without any other changes.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    G4 Web Control is based on RealVNC, so if you are looking for max compatibility, there you go. That said, I'm using UltraVNC because I just like it better.
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    G4 Web Control is based on RealVNC, so if you are looking for max compatibility, there you go.
    VNC is VNC is RFB protocol. Other clients add more features, but the base part is still RFB and a few profiles. Never had a problem using any VNC-compatible client - I've used TightVNC, UltraVNC, and KRDC (KDE VNC and remote desktop client).

I think G4WC supports Tight encoding, though.

TightVNC recently supported proper server modes for Win7.
  • Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Jimweir192 wrote: »
    A commercial client of mine deployed win7 enterprise and had major issues with RealVNC, connections refused, dropped etc, moved to UltraVNC and all issues went away without any other changes.

That might be our issue here, we use all enterprise.(which in some cases turns into the death star =) )
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    true wrote: »
    VNC is VNC is RFB protocol. Other clients add more features, but the base part is still RFB and a few profiles. Never had a problem using any VNC-compatible client - I've used TightVNC, UltraVNC, and KRDC (KDE VNC and remote desktop client).

I think G4WC supports Tight encoding, though.

TightVNC recently supported proper server modes for Win7.

Protocols and standards are one thing, implementation is another. That said, the libraries AMX used to develop their panel VNC is from RealVNC.

I've not had any problems either, and I'm not implying that one implementation handles the standards any better or worse than any other. I'm just pointing out that if there was any possibility of an implementation having an incompatibility, it's least likely with RealVNC.